Have you ever been addicted to nose spray?

Have you ever successfully gotten off of it? If so, how? I've been using it for about 24 years now... I realize it's affecting my health. I'm using nasal strips at night. Any other suggestions?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 10:39 AM on Mar. 2, 2013 in Health

• switched to an oral decongestant if you can take it and some saline nose spray... the saline is non-medicated and will help keep things moist and flowing.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I used nasal spray for about a month after I had a cold once, and I couldn't breathe without it. I finally switched to saline and it seemed to flush it out or something. Within a couple of days, I could breathe without the nasal spray.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:41 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I just had to bite the bullet. It took about two days to kick the habit but it was a miserable two days. Like JJK says, saline spray helped me a good deal to get over the hump.

Also, it shouldn't be affecting your health, long term, unless you've been diagnosed with rhinitis medicamentosa but that's not very common at all
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 10:55 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• EXACTLY what Crafty said! I see a lot of customers who are/were addicted and that's exactly how they quit.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• My dad used it for years. He doesn't anymore, but he has found relief with a humidifier in the room. Perhaps a neti pot would help?
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• How have you used it for that long and NOT burned a hole thru your septum?? I used it for one winter and ended up with a legion that took two years to heal! (gross I know) Now if I use it for more then 4 days it starts to come back. UGH!! I hate being stuffed up ;o(
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• my dh was for awhile, i'm not sure how he quit, it was way back in high school. but now he won't use it, we bought it ONCE when he was having really bad allergy/sinus problems and he used it for about a week then made me throw it cause he didn't want to get addicted again. He just suffers through allergies now :P he does take OTC meds if it gets really bad and he did get one of those sinus rinse things but he rarely uses them.
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2013