Computer people, please advise! Not sure if I need to worry about a strange email.

So, you know those emails that say "barrister so and so has 1 million dollars for you as long as you provide your bank account number" from the ivory coast.

So, I got a similar email and opened it. I've deleted it but now I'm wonder if since the sender found my email, am I now hacked? Most importantly, can they access my documents where important info is?

What do I do, any advice? thanks.

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 11:11 AM on Mar. 2, 2013 in Technology

• If you want to be even more safe, set up 2 email accounts. One for close friends, important accounts (bank, bills, etc.), and work related emails and the other for miscellaneous use (contests, sweepstakes, use on messageboards, craigslist communications, free game accounts, etc.) that doesn't include any real names in the email address. Another tactic for phishers/hackers is to instant message you via email. Just deny the request and block them if you don't know them. Set your status automatically to Invisible. Do not get fooled by messages meant to worry you (fake messages about "your order or order confirmation from XYZ site" conveniently including links to a replica site asking you to log in to check your your account, etc.). Bad spelling definitely is a big red flag for hackers. Some attacks are delayed so just keep monitoring your accounts if you accidentally opened one.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 8:49 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I doubt you're hacked. What type of AV and AM products are you using?

Also, don't open emails that you are unsure of. Just delete them and move on. Opening an email is way more dangerous than just getting one.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:16 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• They cannot access your documents . Just change your password if you're worried about being hacked.
    StepMom2011

Answer by StepMom2011 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• They send those things out wildly and as long as you do not respond or remove your email from the list they cannot confirm it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I use Avira.What is the AM?
    SO this was so much weirder. A third party (who I don't know) contacted me on what she said was behalf of an OLD co-worker 20 years ago. She provided the old co-worker's email and asked me to contact her so I DID. Then I got the obscure email about how this anchorwoman (my old co-worker) falsified a rape claim and was arrested. In the email that was supposedly from my co-worker, she is asking me to be in charge of a charity. The thing is it's all bogus. It was full of typos and bad grammar which my co-worker just wouldn't have in any email because she's well educated. That said, the story about her falsifying a rape is TRUE.

So all the above crap aside, I did email the dummy account that the first woman gave me to allegedly contact my old colleague and in return I received a response from the dummy account. So that is why I'm wondering if I've jeopardized my comcast account. Any thoughts?
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• oh, anti-malwarebytes
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 11:34 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Hmm, well, I think you're safe but HER account may not be. You're using good software to protect yourself but it sounds like your friend may be being electronically blackmailed. I'd let her know, if you're still speaking with her, that this is going on in her name. But as far as you're concerned, I wouldn't worry unduly about your information being at risk.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:42 AM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Their just phishing... don't click on any of the links, reply or send them any info an you'll be fine!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Just to be safe, delete it from your trash and change your password and always remember to only open emails from senders you know.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• thanks a ton!
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Mar. 2, 2013