How independent was your child at 3?

I think my girl is out of control in this area, but I don't know if that is normal?

She's just very independent. Even gets her own snacks. Like a teenager really. I just have to moderate when something is too "dangerous" like the knife to cut her sandwich, reaching something high, etc.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:06 PM on Mar. 2, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have an 18 year old who still isn't independent
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 2:07 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• 3 is a difficult age, you constantly hear "I do it myself!!!" from them but, then 5 min later, it's like "mommy, hold me, pick me up!"
    My oldest & my youngest constantly go through stages of wanting to be independent & then wanting mommy to do it.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Yes there are certain things she wants me to do for her, but it's almost always when I am feeding the baby- so she just wants me to put the baby down. I hear "No, me!" when I am doing things. Then it takes her 5 minutes to do what I could have done in a second, then I have to say to myself "It's about doing it, not getting it done".
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• My oldest was very independent from the beginning. My kids are 4 1/2 year apart... so, yeah, she was always "helping" me. In fact, my oldest was a little delayed in speech and things because, well, because she didn't "have" to do anything for herself! LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Sorry I meant my youngest was a little delayed....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• That's sibling rivalry hon

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Very and it is normal. The words I can do it get really old at this stage lol or more accurately K.......... DO!
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• My youngest was independent early on. My oldest still thinks he's helpless.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:13 PM on Mar. 2, 2013