Dumb broad

Dumb means unable to speak
Broad means wide

Therefore, why is it not acceptable to refer to a woman as a "dumb broad"?

Hag is a wise old woman

Therefore, why is it not acceptable to refer to a woman as a "hag"?

Massive means large
Dick means a skilled detective

Therefore, why is it not acceptable to refer to a man as a "massive dick"?

Or my real question - why do people put so much effort into defending the use of language they KNOW is offensive rather than simply accept the consequences of using offensive language, the same as if they walked into work and called their boss a dumb broad or a massive dick?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:26 PM on Mar. 2, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I think I did call one boss a massive dick one time.... (trust me, there's a reason)...

From the mouth of my 8 year old granddaughter the other night.... You should really think before you call someone a name. (that's after I yelled at the dumb dog to shut up)....

That made me think how quickly that stuff comes out of my mouth before I think.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Did I miss something?? LOL
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Did I miss something?? LOL

The question a few below this defending the use of the word "retard" and criticizing anyone who disagrees.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Trying to reclaim the word retard and pretend they're using it in the classic sense is just ridiculous. The only place I want to hear this is regards to my son is possibly from the IEP team referring to his academic growth. Having someone call my son a retard and trying to back it up with,"well technically he IS mentally retarded due to his autism" is pure bullshit.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Words are simply words. They are not offensive in and of themselves. It is the way they are used.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:53 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I don't know. The constitution gives us the freedom of expression, not FROM it. I think we all have t be willing to take criticism of our words.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• " I think we all have t be willing to take criticism of our words. "

Not only that but I think we all have to accept responsibility for our choice of words. When we use certain words we intend to hurt. Trying to back down afterwards and saying that you "didn't mean it that way"
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:30 AM on Mar. 3, 2013