Should a student be suspended for preventing a death? (huh, it's Florida again)

Cypress HS students suspended for disarming gunman

TLDR version: 15 year old points loaded gun at another kid on the school bus.  14 year old kid jumps him and disarms him.  Both are suspended for "being involved" in the incident.

Is this zero tolerance thing going too far?  How is the lesson here not "let people die, don't get involved"?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:57 PM on Mar. 2, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Seriously!! This is exactly why people are hesitant to get involved!
    Just reading this story pissed me off!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• About 15 years ago I held a kid by the arm to stop him from beating the crap out of another student. I was told I might get in trouble for that. Really? Was I supposed to let him pummel the kid? Anyway, I wasn't disciplined for hold the kid back, but I've never done it again.Now I put my body between the kids. One advantage to being fat.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 3:13 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Oh my gods. There really should be certain circumstances (like if it's a life or death situation) when zero tolerance should be ignored.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• what in the hell is he being suspended for?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

Literally, for being involved.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Florida is full of ignorant rules. Yet another reason I want to move out of here (*FL) and back up north to civilization

Answer by admckenzie at 4:39 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Face palm.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Wow that is stupid. I bet if the guy kill someone they may ask why nobody did anything to stop it.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 6:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• What a fine example of "No good deed goes unpunished!" If that boy had not "involved" himself the way he did, they could be looking at a much bigger problem! I hope those idiots in charge come to their senses & give that boy an award, not a suspension!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I also give them extra asshat bonus points that they can't review the bus footage because the camera was broken (meaning who knows what else has been going on and not caught)
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2013