Prescription iron pills

Anyone take them? My 17yo is anemic and the doctor has prescribed a supplement. Is there any difference, besides strength, between prescription and OTC iron supplements?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Mar. 2, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• This is what I took while I was pregnant. It's slow release so you don't get constipated. Call her Dr. & ask if these are what he recommends. Most Drug Stores sell their own brand which is less expensive too.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:20 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• eh, some. i take the red pills. they will constipate you. take with a ton of water and avoid dairy, calcium, antacids and etc 2 hours before and 2 hours after the pill.

it's lame.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:21 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Prescription Iron absorbs more readily than OTC.
    If Iron upsets her stomach, which is a common side effect, the Dr could have her take Ferrous Gluconate 324.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Also, have her change her diet.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:56 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• My 14 mo old had low iron and I was told that taking the liquid iron supplements would stain his teeth. They didnt tell me that it wouldnt be perminant so i was afraid to give him the iron. My doc prescribed the iron supplement as well as a multivitamin with iron. I gave my LO the vitamin but not the iron supplement. I did however increase his intake of iron-rich foods. When my LO went back to the doc his iron was up past the point of needing the iron. The doc scolded me but told me to keep doing what I was doing. If you eat foods with iron (for example, cream of wheat, meat, or spinach) eat it with food rich in vitamin C and it will help u absorb the iron. I'm not trying to say disobey the doc but do look at DD's diet, too.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Oh, I forgot, molasses is rich in iron, too.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2013