Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Advice for newly single moms?

I'am newly single and trying to get in the right direction. I have no job two kids and no high school diploma. Anyone had to start over in mid thirties? Just looking for some friendly advice. thanks

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Mar. 2, 2013 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • Getting that diploma is a great start. It sets a good example for your kids about the importance of education and gives you options you currently don't have; employers will overlook you if you don't at least have the diploma or a GED. And it's NEVER to late to get that education!

    Learning then takes you in so many wonderful directions... you'll find new interests and possibly find your dream job out of it. And from there.. a worthwhile partner, too!

    Answer by gdiamante at 5:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

  • First thing is to get your GED. You can't find a job without one.
    Take your time focusing on you and your kids. Getting your life in order first before looking for a relationship with anyone.

    GL and I hope everything works out well for you!

    Answer by PMSMom10 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

  • Go get on PA first. for now you will have some money. Get your GED. Then go get a job.

    Answer by louise2 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

  • Take some time for yourself before you jump into another relationship. Realize it's going to be hard - and that it's okay to be frustrated and wish things were different. Get your GED. Enjoy your time with your kids. Don't be temped to go back just because things are hard as a single mom.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 7:04 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

  • Contact Dept of Social Services. They can refer you to classes for your GED, than also take you thru job training.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

  • At least in the state of Michigan, if you apply for public assistance, they will also help you to apply for child support (if you have not already done so). Then yes, focus on your education.

    Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:42 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

  • Call 211 find GED classes, then find a community college and get some job training in a technical field where you will make a good wage. Keep in mind that you want the job to pay better than a living wage. The living wage varies by area of the country so find out hat it is for your area. If it is 15 then add 10 to that so you know you can support your kids and buy a house. Then ask the college for training in an area that will pay 25 an hour. Also ask 211 for anything else you may need, filing for child support, housing. Child care etc...

    Answer by booklover545 at 7:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.