Have you ever had someone project something onto you? Something they were guilty of

I get so annoyed when a "friend" of mine tells me to get checked out for STDs when SHE is the one sleeping around, and I'm not even seeing anyone and haven't for a long time just to focus on my kids. I'm clearly more conservative than her in everything I do, so it puzzles me why someone would say this.

It's happened more than once but not in the same area, such as I'm always on time for things and the other person is always late, yet someone else will overlook the other person and nitpick on me. Strange!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2013 in Relationships

• Ugh, YES. My father was constantly accusing me of being out for his money, for my grandmother's money. My stepmonster asked my grandmother if I was asking to borrow money. He kept saying I must be having financial problems. None of it was true, and it was really obnoxious and offensive. My husband makes a good living. We don't have any debt except our mortgage, and it's almost paid off. I have never asked my grandmother for money, and I absolutely never would. He's a disgusting person, and he's always been obsessed with money. He is the type of person who would slit a puppy's throat for a quarter. He's also opened business after business, and failed at them all. He never figured out that I don't share his issues. Last time I had contact with him, I made it very clear - again - that I want nothing from him, and I told him to go drink his money away. Loser.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:25 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Yeah. My husband keeps accusing me of cheating and he is the one who left me shortly after we were married for another woman. Needless to say, I have never cheated on him and never will.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:28 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• YES! My husband and I go out without children maybe once or twice a year, and that isn't even overnight...it's for dinner OR a movie. A friend of mine leaves her child every single weekend, overnight, to go hang out with whatever new boyfriend she has. She had the balls to say something to me the last time my husband and I went out to eat..."don't you think YOUR KIDS would have liked to go?"
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:29 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Yes, my ex husband used to do that all the time.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:18 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• yup!
    And I learned a very valuable lesson from it.
    If a guy constantly accuses you of cheating, look for a new place to live.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:55 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• Yep. Lots of people.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:34 PM on Mar. 2, 2013

• I would think that the "SOME' and we have discussed this should look into the ownership of how many times this has come up.
    Anonymous

• yeah but I got tired of it and divorced him!

Answer by admckenzie at 4:15 AM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Yes, I have.

Projecting happens all the time in relationships, positive projections as well as the negative projections that frustrate or annoy us. You don't have to be aware that it's happening, even. Falling in love is about projecting!

Everybody has had this happen.

Most of us experienced our parents' projections starting as very small children, but of course couldn't have identified it.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:27 AM on Mar. 3, 2013

• My x used to accuse me of being a gold digger lol there was no gold to dig.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 3, 2013