Can't live with him, can't live without him

I am extremely frustrated! I know that part of my frustration is coming from a mix of being on my period and taking Predisone for my bronchitis, but still. I am extremely frustrated with my SO right now. I don't even want to be in the same room with him, but at the same time I don't want to be anywhere else but laying next to him. I can't sleep, but I don't want to do anything else.

Part of my frustration is that I realize that we have wasted a perfectly good weekend when we could have spent quality time together uninterrupted by DD since she has been at her father's house. I was gone all day on Friday between work and other responsibilities and we were supposed to meet up at a local bar for some drinks and to take in a band. While we did end up at the bar together we didn't hardly see each other at all. Then today we ran errands with one of his friends and he practically avoided me the rest of the day/night. In addition to the previously mentioned reasons for my frustration I think that part of my problem is that this is the first time that we have had any kind of hiccup in our relationship and we aren't even fighting or anything.

Sorry for the long rant, but has anyone else felt this way? What did you do to get over it? Do you have any advice for me?

MChildressDem

Asked by MChildressDem at 4:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2013 in Relationships

• Get over what? You are not even married to him and you are having problems? Not a good sign.

Answer by louise2 at 5:30 AM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Honestly, I think you are right about the whole "being on your period" thing. I have noticed that when I am on my period, I get a bit more clingy. It's freaks my dh out because he thinks I have done something I am trying to apologize for. Normally, I don't mind if we don't spend every waking hour together. The hormones that are running through your body right now are probably messing with your emotions. Not to mention being sick. So, just give yourself time to feel more like yourself and then look back on now and see if you still think this is a hiccup.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 3, 2013

• i am still trying to figure out
    you have bronchitis, but you out at a bar?

could you be extra emotional because of period- sure
    but you are sick! take care of yourself first, so you can be a good mom, then deal with the boyfriend
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:13 AM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Take care of yourself, when you are better again, maybe you will think differently.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I think you're trying to do too much while you're still sick. If it were me, I'd have skipped the bar and gone home to sleep or just relax and told SO that's what I was planning for the night. Honestly, when you're sick you need rest, and being on your period is just making it worse.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I'm with anime_mom here. Bronchitis is no fun. And what's worse is that once you've had it you're more susceptible in the future.

Slow down. Take it easy. Is it possible he's avoiding you so he doesn't catch the bug too? But doesn't want to tell you that?

Answer by gdiamante at 6:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Sounds like a combination of disappointment, hurt feelings about things not going as you expected, and maybe some stress from feeling this was your Big Chance for uninterrupted time together (so, feeling the opportunity was wasted, and upset about that.)

I think of annoyance, irritation, frustration & blame as being secondary emotions. They are other-directed or other-focused emotions that get directed at another person or situation, which means they serve a self-protective function. They distract from & defend against experiencing more threatening feelings (the primary emotions) directly. (These could be disappointment, self-blame, guilt, sadness...) It's NOT conscious, and most times we wouldn't consider those feelings all that "threatening," but this is an automatic or unconscious defense mechanism leftover from childhood. When we feel anger or blame, we're escaping something else, like sadness or disappointment.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Stay home and get well. Tomorrow is another day.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2013