• In the Spotlight:

When you move, do you leave a mess for someone else to deal with?

I've moved a few times in my life and have always taken all of my stuff and cleaned up. I've always thought to leave the place looking as good if not better than when I moved in. My neighbor just moved out, left a lot of stuff, and the place is trashed. I'm just wondering if this is normal.

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 12:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I hate it when people leave nastiness behind! When I first moved to Las Vegas, we rented a condo that was brand new. We were the first ones to ever live there, so you would think it would be all nice and clean, right? It was disgusting. I spent two days cleaning that place! There was concrete residue in the toilets, and in the master bathroom, some worker had crapped in there and left smears behind! OMG so gross! Drywall dust in the showers, dirt everywhere. Awful. We left it much better than we found it. When we sold our house, my husband was coming behind the movers when they left each room, scrubbing it down. It looked perfect when he left. He did forget to grab two things, and we didn't realize it until later. There was an Airbake cookie sheet left in the oven (I miss that thing) and a Christmas pillow up in the storage above one of our closets. By the time he realized that one, there was no ladder to reach.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I've seen tons of people that do that in my years of renting! However, I am not one of them. My place is clean as can be, I want that security deposit back!!! Where I live if you leave a mess at the curb, the city will charge you for a huge pickup! As far as the inside.... we clean it. Our last place was cleaner than when we moved in.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I've always cleaned up because I wanted my security deposit back, but we bought the house I'm in now. We started looking at it before it was even on the market. We were looking at a different house in the neighborhood and someone mentioned this one - it was a foreclosure and the people trashed it before they left. There was a workman here when we were driving past and he let us in (don't think he was supposed to). There was trash everywhere - even in the attic stuff was strewed from end to end! There was a lot of work that needed to be done before they put it on the market, but when they found out we were interested, they fixed it up right quick and we bought it.

Answer by missanc at 12:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• In general, I clean. There was one place that my ex-husband and I lived, the landlords were harassing us. I was pregnant with my second child, and they were saying stuff like they hoped I lost my baby, they'd help me lose it, etc. So when we moved out, it was very sudden and I knew the assholes wouldn't give us back our deposit anyway. So we packed up and didn't clean up. Of course, I keep a clean house, so it wasn't like it was trashed or anything. But, for example, we'd swapped out a ceiling fan, and we took ours down and didn't reinstall theirs, just left it on the floor. Other than that place, though, I would always do a final cleaning - even to the point of steam cleaning the carpet sometimes.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I have always cleaned the place up after I moved except this last time. It was a foreclosure and I just didn't care... I know not the best attitude about the situation but it's true. I couldn't care less about the new owners.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• We, it depends. If I am renting. to get my deposit back I clean really good. But if I am selling. Then house is clean, I do not leave it nasty. But it is not spotless. Their is not requirment sell to leave it clean.

Answer by louise2 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• leave the place looking as good if not better than when I moved in

my father taught me this one
    we had a vacation home that for a while we shared with another family
    it became hard to find some way to make cleaner than how we got it-lol...became almost a contest for the two families, we kids would curse those adults and their 'contest'

when i move, it is always cleanest when i leave, makes me not want to move :)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I'm a broom clean kind of gal. I take all my stuff, including trash, wipe down surfaces and broom the floors.

I had a renter who trashed my home in FL on his way out. It was a horrible experience.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• we always clean.

there is nothing worse than moving into a place that wa left in nasty condition. The last house, I spent HOURS cleaning cabinets and whatnot that were left a nasty- greasy mess. UGH
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• no, i clean
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2013