Best cold medicine for teens

My dd just turned 13. She woke up with a very sore throat and has 102 temp. What can I give her??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Ibuprofen will reduce the fever and help the soreness. My DD's Pediatrician said that even at 13 most OTC cold medicines are ineffective, but as long as they don't have aspirin they are ok to use. She also mentioned that honey based herbal throat and cough medicines have been shown to be the most help for teens.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Unless she is having other symptoms as well I agree that some Ibuprofen is the way to go. It should help the fever and the sore throat. Some hot tea with honey would also be soothing.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Aleve would work?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Yes, Aleve wold work. Hot tea with honey will help the sore throat. Check her throat for white spots or blisters, that is a sign of strep throat. She needs to keep her throat moist, it will hurt less.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Thanks So much ladies
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:59 AM on Mar. 4, 2013