Find out if a title is clear?

Any suggestions of how to find out if a title is clear before a tax sale?

I already have an attorney, but I was going to do it myself because he charges an arm and a leg.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Use the services of a title company, that is the only way to determine if the title is clear.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:41 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• I'm buying the property on back taxes, real estate agency is not involved. It will just be me, the courts in my county, and now my lawyer involved. The courts have made it clear it is either my or my attorneys job to do all the research on the property because it is a delinquent tax sale.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Depending on your state & county you may be able to do the research online. Start with your county's public property records. Also be on the lookout for mineral rights. Smart people always reserve the mineral rights to land, even when they sell the property. Which, means if oil, natural gas, gold or any other valuable mineral is found beneath the land, they will still be entitled to the profits, despite no longer "owning" the land above ground.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Wow, I forgot this section even existed, sorry! I have no idea.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• That's the job of a title company. You should always have them involved in a real estate transaction.
    Anonymous

• If it involves real estate, you can do a deed research and you can also check at the Property Valuation Office for liens. These are matters of public record.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• title for what? a car go to the dol website
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Call a local Real Estate Agency & maybe they have some tips for you.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2013