Is hazing going on in your schools?

The foundation in this article was started after someone I went to school with was hazed to death at WIU - not by a frat, but by a sports team.  We hadn't even been out of high school a year, and our first alumni death was force fed alcohol to be "one of the team".  Several years later, I worked with someone who was at WIU at the time, had roomed with some of the lacrosse players charged after the incident, and he thought it was a crime that they were charged with his death.

I find it sad that 20 year later, even kids at the school we went to don't get why it's wrong, or that the school doesn't have a set in stone program to address it beyond coaches mentioning it at parent night.  Then last year a local high school where I live now was hit with multiple sexual assault charges for one of its varsity teams..."tradition" and "ritual" and "everyone knew about it" were the only defenses.

Do your schools adress it?  Do the kids in your area even understand why it's wrong?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• OMG do we address it here... especially with the athletes. We have team meetings, kids sign a "contract", etc., it's literally beat into them how wrong and illegal it is. I think they get it - in the 15 years I've been working in HS & college athletics I've only seen it once and punishment was swift and harsh!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• scary, my HS and my Univ are both mentioned in this article, but not surprising. Such an archaic and unnecessary ritual.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 4:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• It used to be quite common where I went to school, some twenty-five years ago. But then thankfully it kind of died out, and you don't hear much about it anymore.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2013