This may sound childish and a little silly but I am a bit concerned..just needs thoughts or opinions...advice whatever :)

There is a lady that I work with. We're not really friends, just see each other in passing but we have to work in the same office. She is very open and friendly with other employee's, laughs and jokes with them, says hi, smiles and things like that. When I see her I smile and say hi, she just says hi with a straight face then walks away. If we're at lunch with a group of people and she see's me there she ignores me except for random eye rolls when I say something that she finds annoying. If I make a joke or something and other people laugh she just says, "Hmm Funny" with a straight face. I am always nice to her but I don't go out of my way to be friendly, I'm just not rude and since I get the impression that she really doesn't like me I just try to avoid her when possible. I just don't get it really. I never did anything to her, I don't think I'm annoying. Maybe my feelings that she doesn't like me are wrong and she is cold because of my trying to keep my distance. I just feel awkward when she is around because if she is laughing and having a good time with other employee's and I walk into the room she gets this look like "Oh great her again". I'd like to clear the air and find out why she has a problem with me but at the same time, I feel it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.
What are some of your thoughts?

AnonNdrag

Asked by AnonNdrag at 3:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2013 in Money & Work

• Stop being nice to her. Not meaning to go out of your way to be mean, but stop making an effort. Usually I figure people show us how they want to be treated by treating others that way. If I had to work closely with her I might want to clear the air, but if I was just running into her occasionally I would leave it alone and just stop making an effort.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• If she's not someone you have to report to directly, or someone who can directly and easily backstab you, let it go. If she can't even pretend to be civil, she's probably waiting for you to start something so she can play the victim.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Ignore her and turn it back on her. Stop saying hi, don't give her eye contact etc. This is hard to do if you're generally a nice person, but so worth it to watch her reaction.
    She has a stick up her butt and it's her issue not yours.
    I do know how uncomfortable people like this can make you feel but as long as you don't give her any ammo, she has nothing.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I wouldn't open that can of worms if I were you. Besides, would knowing what her reason(s) were change anything? Just go to work, do your job & ignore or avoid her as much as humanly possible. Like you said, you've done nothing to her, so trying to get to the bottom of something you've never done would be futile. Just enjoy the comradery of the co-workers you do get along with.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I would just give her space. Be cordial since you do have to work together, but honestly, we're not designed to be buddies with everybody. Just let it go.

Have you asked anyone if they know what's up? If you're friendly with people in the office that way, I might ask a close coworker, otherwise, let it go.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Honestly, if that happens to me, I just figure some like me and some don't. Not my problem. There's no law that says everybody has to like each other.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• From my personal experience, it usually doesn't help the situation to ask what the problem is. It usually is some imaginary issue they have with you, and you will never convince them otherwise. That would mean they were wrong. Can't have that.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 5:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• If someone likes you fine if not also fine. we all have some we like and some we do not,
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Keep being nice. Stop caring if she is or not. :)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I am happy if someone justs say Hi to me!
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2013