Blew a breaker, but didn't really blow a breaker??

I was blow drying my hair in my daughter's room because it blows the breaker when I do it in the bathroom. So all the lights turn off in her room and I think, oh well that didn't work.

I go to the breaker box and none of the doodles are turned off, they are all still on the "on" position. None of the outlets in her room are working. What the heck do I do?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 3:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Yeah, if half the house is out and you can't find any gfci's then it's probably time to call an electrician.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• You could also turn the breaker switch off for a few seconds then back on again to reset it
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Check the plug of your hair dryer- some of them have built in pop-up thingies

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Look for the GFCI that controls her room and push the reset button.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I switched all the doodles off, then back on again. I will look for a reset button
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• There is usually a few outlets that have those test and reset buttons in every house. Find the closest one and push test, then reset and try the lights.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I have no outlets with test or reset buttons and there are no buttons in the circuit breaker- just the switches.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• DH says you might want to get a hairdryer that draws less current. Determine this by the number of watts the dryer is using. Should say on tag/label/box. Breaker may be bad now. Might be time to call an electrician.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 3:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• So is it only the lights that still don't work, or is the outlet not giving power either? If its just the lights it could be that the surge blew the bulbs. If nothing is working then I really don't know what to suggest. If you already turned the breaker off and back on again and it's still not working then there must be something larger going on.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Upon closer inspection it's half the house that isn't working. No lights or outlet power in the daughter's room, the bathroom, half the kitchen, the playroom and half the living room. Basically everything on the right side of the house....

The hairdryer is only a few years old...
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Mar. 3, 2013