Right message, wrong audience?

American Atheists are starting a new billboard campaign to "publicly shame" people who have preached hate or theocracy.  Thing is, they're running these ads in Texas...the same state that elected Rick Perry (a dominionist who thinks the US should be a theocracy, not a democracy).  Is the message going to be lost on people who consistently vote for politicians who want bible-based laws in the US?

First on CNN: Atheists ratchet up rhetoric, use billboards to attack Republican politicians

They're running the ads in Texas because they have a convention coming up there.  I'm just not sure how many people will read those quotes and not think "damn right" rather than "that's illegal".

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I honestly feel, in the majority of states, more people would be muttering "damn right!" than "thats illegal".

I feel thats the way the country is headed. Or at least it seems that way lately.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I think it'll do better in Texas than lets say the great N.W.
    So I don't believe it's completely lost there.

Here, they'd say "oh Hell no!" Then someone would tag the hell out of it, lol
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I feel like I should write them and tell them this was not a good use of their advertising dollars. I suppose it depends on where in Texas they're running.....Austin can be pretty progressive and Dallas to a lesser extent but, outside those areas, I'm thinking that "damn right" will win out
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

Which is weird because I don't tend to think of the NW that way. I have a few friends in Oregon who are conservative and feel like they live on Mars. Idaho/Wyoming/Montana/Utah, there I can see it, but the NW I think more of tree huggers and Seattle drop outs.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I'm just not sure how many people will read those quotes and not think "damn right" rather than "that's illegal".

********

That's what I thought when I read them.

Not sure how effective that kind of thing is...probably not very

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Oregonians are a strange bunch NP!
    Tree huggers, yes
    PC - Hell yes
    Religion - Either you are or you're not but putting up billboards like the ones you posted will definitely get "non-believers" (my new favorite word), panties in a wad!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• i think most of the audience will agree with the billboards rather than feel disgusted by them.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I get the idea behind doing this in Texas, where it's needed most. However, this was not the best way to go about getting this particular message across. I'm afraid they've wasted their advertising dollars. Had the ads been set up differently, it could be more successful.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Yeah, I don't know how much "good" it'll do here. Some (like me) would be receptive but, in general, it'll only be received by those in places like Austin, Dallas & Houston.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 5:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• It might be enough to trigger something in those who are opposed to this marriage of religion and government, and I know of quite a few people in Texas who have functioning brain cells who might see the wrongness portrayed in the billboard.

I'm not sure if it will have a positive effect, but what would be the sense of posting it in areas where the majority would agree with the message?  Wouldn't that be "preaching to the choir"?

I have no strong feelings about the billboard either way.  I appreciate and agree with the message, and I don't know if there's a better way of getting it out, but I doubt it will have any major effect on the general population of that great state.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2013