My mother saids yes and my Dr. saids no....

My baby's doctor has told me not to clean her ears, but my mom disagrees with him. She tells me that I should be cleaning her ears, and I don't know what to do. My DD ears are filthy and she hates it when I touch them. Should I clean them any way or should I leave them alone???

GodPRKitty

Asked by GodPRKitty at 8:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use the safety q-tips for babies/kids. They work great, as they only clean the outside and just near the insides of the ears. I've always used them and had no problems with my children's ears. And heck, I grew up using q-tips and still use them every time I shower to clean them and get any water out. I've never had an ear infection and neither have my kiddos. =) But everyone will have their own opinions. =)
    my2luvbugs

Answer by my2luvbugs at 8:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Leave them alone. Do not use q-tips. If you must do anything, wipe around the inside with a damp cloth (and I don't mean in the eat, around the inside edges.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 8:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• You need to do somewhere in the middle! lol. Cleaning too much is not good because you need wax, it protects their ears..I'd say clean once or twice a month.
    Them getting too clogged isn't good either. Ear wax has been known to build up too much too.
    Anonymous

• I clean the outsides of DS's ears. Meaning, I don't go too far in the canal. It would drive me nuts not do clean them.
    evansmommy0828

Answer by evansmommy0828 at 8:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I'd listen to mom she tends to have COMMON sense.
    Anonymous

• Well if you use the proper technique (which does not involve q-tips) then go ahead and clean them. You can buy a kit with an ear bulb syringe to suction stuff out. Q-tips only push it in further and can cause more harm than good. I am more likely to trust a doctor over my mother as the information a doctor has is more up to date. A wash cloth with water only will suffice for the outer ear.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:15 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I use those q-tips designed for babies. You can find them anywhere. They are bigger and rounder so you won't go too far in to the ear. Use those instead of regular q-tips.
    Anonymous

• my dr told me the same thing. he said nothing should be entering his ear that is bigger than our pinky. so to take a warm wet cloth wrap around pinky to clean and thats all the futher in you need to clean. i have baby qtips but when i see they need clean thats all i do. i would hate if my son had perfect hearing and me mess them up by cleaning with qtips. its just best to play it safe
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I heard the same thing, do not stick things, including q-tips, in the baby's ears. I took a thin wash cloth and cleaned what I could but never into the ear canal.

Answer by Bmat at 8:30 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• they make these baby qtips.. they have a small little ball on the end and then a fat head, so even if you put it in her ear it wont even begin to go near the inside.. but its just enough to clean the outter edge.. also, your doctor is right.. why go messing with her ears, or maybe he's concerned about her age.. our son is 7 months old, and he doesnt get his ears cleaned but maybe once a month.. he gets wax but it falls out on its own.. and guess what, the wax is supose to be there, it keeps dirt and irritants out
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 8:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2009