Sexual misconduct is a vague term... (yes, this is about a Catholic scandal, if you're prone to bunched panties, keep going)

For those who haven't been keeping up, before the Pope quit he did some house cleaning, including getting rid of Cardinal O'Brien (the head of the entire Catholic church in the UK). Up until that moment, the Church had been vehemently defending him against accusations of "sexual misconduct" towards other priests.

Instead of going quietly, he gave a full public confession, saying he had made passes at and groped at other priests over the years, usually when he was drunk.  This embarrasses the church admin that was trying to cover it up.  One of the priests who came forward also expressed fear and hostility, not from O'Brien, but from the Church for daring to mention it.

Here's the thing, though - this isn't a pedophile case, or someone manipulating unstable parishioners with some kind of spiritual blackmail.  When the incidents happened, he wasn't even a cardinal or bishop yet, he was just another priest.  While there can be quibbling over whether or not it was sexual harassment, he wouldn't be the first (nor the last) priest to hook up with another like-minded one, and they aren't going to find each other unless they ask.  It's most likely there are others who didn't complain because when he offered, they said yes.

He broke a celibacy vow, but he didn't commit a crime (unless there's more to this that hasn't made the news).  Why is the Church so quick to bounce him, yet protect the ones who both broke a vow AND commited a crime?  If it's not all relative, why does the church take the defense stance to begin with?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:03 PM on Mar. 3, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Honestly? I'm just waiting for the "church" to burst into flames and burn to the ground.

I don't get how people find their (catholic church) behavior acceptable in any way, shape or form. It is sickening.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I could care less about the Catholic Church... I clicked on this solely b/c of the phrase "if you're prone to bunched panties, keep going"!! But, seriously... if the Christan god had any control over things "he" would have done away with this whole Catholic debacle years ago. All they have done is embarrass "him"!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• .... and by "they" I'm referring to the powers that be in the church... not the general masses of decent Catholic people (of which half my family is) that have nothing to do with that shit show!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• It's been interesting reading the British papers since this all started, tons of warring OpEds, ranging from he's a disgrace who should already be burning in hell to they need to get over this celibacy thing and none of this would be an issue anymore.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• To be fair, it's not just the Catholic church. They are having a more public airing of their digressions right now. Remember Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Baker, et all. . Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely, as they say. We expect it from our politicians, and they don't disappoint. We however expect more from our religious leaders. One of the reasons I don't believe in organized religion is because I hear so much God sanctioned hate, hypocrisy and bigotry from so called men of God. At least the ones I see on TV. No organized religion is immune.  Just recently I heard about a Buddhist leader involved in sexual shenanigans

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 5:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Sounds to me like a "that was then, this is now" situation. And sometimes I don't think the leaders of the church are so sorry that things happen as they are about getting CAUGHT.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• just stopping by to give you this little pic for your use

continue on...

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I truly feel there is way more to this story than what's come out so far. I believe he's done something so corrupt that the best thing for him to do was step down. Believe me, he didn't do it for the Catholic Community! He stepped down to save his ass!
    It'll come out, you'll see.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 6:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I too would like to know if there's more. He did something else to piss off the higher ups. Maybe not, but it makes you wonder. And if this is all there is to it then I'm baffled at the inconsistency. Cover up worse crimes, and get all pissy and give someone the boot for lesser wrongs? Weird.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• To be fair, it's not just the Catholic church.
    ***************************************
    fuck being "fair".
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2013