I took my daughter to the ER today, she has staph infection and her fever was real high. her pediatrician said to me on the phone prior to that" you know staph in an infant is in alot of cases FATAL" well yes i know that but suddenly all kinds of guilt came over me.Like i should be a better mom to her. but i dont understand why i feel this way.is this normal?

ive been the one taking care of her EVERYDAY of her life, i read to her, play with her. everything but so much guilt came over me when the doc said that.

youngandafraid

Asked by youngandafraid at 8:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She may have just said that because she didn't want you to take it lightly. I understand you feeling guilty though, every time my daughter gets sick I feel like I did something wrong. I'm sure you didn't. Just do all you can to help her through this, comfort her and help her get better.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:21 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• It's natural to feel guilty when something can or does harm your child. Your job is to protect them from everything, that's the way we are programmed. We can't and we know it but we feel guilty anyway.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• it can come from no were i swear, my dd even though older ( 11 ) had a coldsore and went to her dads for the weekend and when he droped her off said she need to go to doc i think its staf its spreding. which it was so called the doc she was there asap and she was treated. but no one knows were she got it the doc said it can come from anywere. so dont feel guilty we do our best to keep our kids safe and healthy sometimes things just pop up. it stinks but it happens just do what the doc said. i know my dds doc said it can be deadly if it gets into her blood thankfuly she was treated as was your dd. do do what the doc said and keep an eye on it. good luck mama xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• It is very normal to feel guilt! We as mothers nurture,love and protect our children. When something happens that we cant explain or control we feel helpless and guilty that we could not stop it. Just understand that it is normal just dont let it consume you.
    lovemlotz

Answer by lovemlotz at 8:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• The guilt came over you because you depend on the doctor to provide a cure and the doctor spoke to you in such a way as to frighten and upset you. Your reaction would naturally be guilt and self-doubt. The thing to do is to figure out how the baby got the staph infection and do what you can, if anything, in the future. And next time you'll have that much more information under your belt and that much more self-confidence since you have gone through this episode. Don't let a doctor speaking like that to you make you feel guilty.

Answer by Bmat at 8:26 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• also clean everything so she dosent get re infected. thats what my dd's doc said. silverware cups handles door knobs its a pain but better safe then sorry.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• AWWW...if you know you are doing what you can, dont feel like that! I agree with the first posting she probably just didnt want you to take it lightly and not go to the ER. But i think every good mom feels guilty when something go wrongs because we feel as if we should have prevented it. but truth be told we cant do it all, and things are going to happen. No good mom ever wants their baby to be sick in anyway. Dont take it personally. Good luck though i hope everything is ok!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 11:36 PM on Feb. 15, 2009