Missing person VS Amber Alert when it comes to missing children NO UPDATE STILL MISSING

I just got news my cousin is missing. She is 14 years old. She went out about 7pm last night to go get dinner for herself and family at the McDonalds that is only 1/2 mile away from her home. She never arrived there.  Her cell phone has now been turned off. She has no boyfriend and her family has been calling all her friends and everyone they can think of trying to find her. The police refuse to put out an Amber Alert until they knw if she is endanger or not. There has been no activity on her FB. This is her below. She lives in SLC, UT. What has to happen to get an Amber Alert out? Family have already called local news stations to get her picture out but there won't do a story again unless they know she's endanger.

Photo

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 3, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm so sorry!  Create posters with her picture on them and start handing them out in the area.  Call the Polly Klaas Foundation, they might be able to help find ways to get her story out. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I wish we could keep this on a permanent Bump!!

Saving mine in case it drops off the front
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• This is so fucked up...

If you don't know where someone is, ESPECIALLY a minor, you shouldn't sit on your dick and wait until you ''know'' that they're in danger.

Lostie, big hugs and keep us updated. If there's one thing about this country that needs to change, it's this.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 6:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Oh Lost! I'm so sorry!!!

My thoughts are with you! Hope she shows up soon!
    To answer your question, I really don't know the rules of Amber Alert but is the news running coverage and has the police filed a missing person report?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Amber Alert usually uses the same rules the police do usually 24 hrs unless they know something has happened, but some states vary. Keep blanketing facebook - have everyone you know put it out there. Get the ones who've moved away to post it so other people they know in the area but you don't will still see it. Twitter, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I honestly don't know the steps but, I'd think that it's something the police send to the media.
    I'm so sorry.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:22 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I just wanted to say I am so sorry. this gave me chills.
    I truly hope she is found....good wishes to you and your family.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• How awful! I'm so sorry to hear that.

I looked up amber alert guidelines and they are vague at best. The do say they cannot issue one until they are sure of an abduction or imminent danger, but there is no mention of how that is determined. She is young enough to have one issued in most states, so hopefully, they will do it soon.

Again, my thoughts are with you and your family.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 6:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I am so sorry to hear this. Basically an Amber Alert is issued by police when they have confirmed that there has been an abduction. At this point they may think that she is just a run away.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2013