3 year old violent talk

I have a friend with a 3 year old with says the most violent things a bout his baby sister who is 3 months old. He says he wants to kick the baby across the floor, punch the baby in the face, he has play keys and he says he wants to poke them in the baby's leg, or he'll ask you to put the baby on the floor so he can body slam her. His parents watch him closely because they know he'll hurt her but to me this isn't normal behavior, should they be taking him to a dr to have this behavior looked at?

mattiegirl10

Asked by mattiegirl10 at 7:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He may be jealous of the new baby for getting so much attention. Has he tried to hurt the baby in any way?

I think kids hear a lot of violent talk on TV or at school.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I would be terrified. My 3 year old worships her 3 month old sister. This behavior needs heavy therapy!!!!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I agree with ballad. The behavior would definitely scare me but it may just be that he is jealous and is picking those things up from school. My son once told me "I'm gonna cut you" when he was mad and I was appalled but when I asked him who says that he told me the name of a boy in his class. I hate the influence other children now have on him.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Umm. That would concern me. A lot. My 3yo gets a bit fiesty when she is frustrated, but she has done nothing but adore real babies and animals, etc. I know boys can be rougher but that kind of talk is not ok. I hope they get a little help from a therapist to nip this in the bud.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• While my DS never said anything like that he did have scary behavior. What is the kid watching?
    I had to ban shows like TMNT and PowerRangers.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• It's good for the parents to stay close & to keep both children safe.
    It's much better for the feelings to be verbalized than to be acted out in behavior.
    He is pretty articulate & is expressing, aloud, his intense feelings. He likely has strong feelings about having the baby sister at home. It's also possible he is carrying feelings from other sources (if he has an older sibling, or has witnessed or experienced any aggression or aggressive talk at preschool, or has felt overpowered & overwhelmed in some situation.) He is wanting to feel capable, strong, NOT vulnerable, and to make things go HIS way.

I wonder how his parents handle it? It can be challenging to know how to respond, but in my experience, the more you can avoid negating the unsettling talk by saying things like "You don't really feel that way/you know you really love the baby," the better. Keep in mind the words express FEELINGS & stay accepting of the feelings.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2013