Does anyone have a very whiny child (or a "crybaby")? If so, how do YOU deal with him/her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Mar. 3, 2013 in General Parenting

• YES!!!
    My 11 yo is a major crybaby. I blame her dad. He is very indulgent.
    When she is here I simply ignore and remind her that that behavior is not tolerated. Takes about 24 hours for her to readjust to the different parenting techniques.
    And I look forward to summers, because she is much better behaved with consistent parental reactions.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I tell her I can't hear her when she uses that voice and to try again in her big girl voice. Simple, but effective.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• mine just started to fake cry (at 5,.5)
    and although it is annoying
    it is her communicating through manipulation- and that is GREAT!
    never thought of it this way until her autism doc asked me if she pouts or fake cries etc to try to manipulate situation

i had to admit she had not, she went straight to full force screaming fit, but never did any manipulation

daughter has autism, and at 5.5 she finally is doing this

so although annoying - it is healthy and a way your child is communicating

older cry bay is different- a young whiner is annoying but learning to manipulate
    patience and smile that they are healthy
    i was excited when daughter started to fake cry a few months ago (strange life i lead- i know)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:17 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I pretend I'm stone deaf when it comes to the whiny voice. I can't hear it, no matter what. When it doesn't work, it doesn't last long.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Aren't all children occasionally whiny? I just call them out on it. I'll tell them to stop the fake crying & then start whining to them. Which, usually makes them laugh (my youngest) or roll their eyes (my oldest), either way it stops it.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I whine back. He usually laughs then stops crying and will ask correctly.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:24 AM on Mar. 4, 2013