Strawberry Poke Cake

Thanks to those of you who recommended this cake to me. It was a resounding success at my daughter's birthday party; now her nanna wants to try making a peach one for her own birthday next month. It's easy to make and really pretty to look at as well, so I thought I'd share the recipe I used.

Gelatin Poke Cake

1 pkg. (2-layer size) white cake mix
1 cup boiling water
1 pkg. (3 oz.) JELL-O Strawberry Flavor Gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) instant vanilla pudding
1 cup cold milk
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed
1 pkg. frozen sliced strawberries, thawed

PREPARE cake batter and bake as directed on package for 13x9-inch pan. Cool cake in pan 15 minutes.

Pierce cake with large fork at 1/2-inch intervals.

ADD boiling water to gelatin mix in small bowl; stir 2 minutes, until completely dissolved. Stir in cold water; pour over cake. Refrigerate 3 hours.

BEAT pudding mix, milk and sugar in large bowl with whisk for two minutes. Stir in COOL WHIP. Spread onto cake immediately or store frosting covered in refrigerator up to 24 hours.

Decorate frosted cake with thawed sliced strawberries. Refrigerate 1 hour before serving. My daughter also requested sprinkles on the cake; everybody knows sprinkles make anything better!

Her other cake was the store bought one with the edible image on it, but the poke cake was the one that got devoured.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 9:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I love those. The Jello makes everything so moist!
    I saw one for an oreo poke cake that is chocolate cake, and the "jello" is vanilla pudding and confectioners sugar or something.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Sounds awesome! I'm so glad you got to enjoy her party. I hope you are feeling better. Happy birthday to your little firecracker!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I've made these cake a few times. Its freaking awesome.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• I love that cake! Only we use marble cake so it is chocolate strawberry... and that 'frosting' is the best ever.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2013

• Thanks my mom used to make those! Thanks!
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:29 AM on Mar. 4, 2013

• That sounds soooo good. I'll have to try it.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 10:35 AM on Mar. 4, 2013