I wanna home school my 8th grader where do I start?

I want to home school my 8th grader for the remainder of this school year. Iam clueless about where to begin, anyone else doing this? I live in florida but I dont wanna do virtual school for my son because it is 6 hours of work a day and we dont have that kind of time.

healedbystripes

Asked by healedbystripes at 10:54 AM on Mar. 4, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Well, I hate to tell you this, but it takes time. I homeschool in Florida, and while it's fairly easy to get started, you do have to invest the time.

If you don't have the time to invest in his education, then send him to private school if you're not happy with the public school. But it's not something that can be done in a matter of minutes. 8th grade work will probably require at least 3-4 hours a day, at a minimum.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:01 AM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Why don't you have time for that? If you're going to remove him to homeschool you don't just spend a hour a day teaching and that's it. It's multiple hours a day.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:01 AM on Mar. 4, 2013

• it is 6 hours of work a day and we dont have that kind of time.

If you don't have time for this you shouldn't be homeschooling. Unless you want your son to be completely inept and unable to succeed in life. Homeschooling is a LOT of time and work. More than the 6 hours a day for virtual classes.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 4, 2013

• If you do not have time for 6 hours a day you do not have the tme to homeschool.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:06 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• If you don't have 6 hours to spend on educating your child then you are better off leaving him in school. If you are unhappy with his current school then find one where you and he will be happy. Homeschooling is work for you and your child. It's not easy and it takes up a lot of time. If you aren't willing to take that time then you aren't doing you son any good at all.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 4, 2013

• There's a great homeschooling group on this site with ladies from every state.  They have great information about all the state laws. However, like the others have said homeschooling is very time consuming. You have to prepare the lessons and monitor the progress, it's great but a lot of work.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Find some homeschooling groups in your area, and meet and talk with them about everything including how much time goes into homeschooling.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I'm betting that everyone who is saying that you need to homeschool for 6 hours a day have zero experience with homeschooling. 8th grade really should take 3-4 hrs tops most days excluding reading. At this age I would suggest about an hr of good literature in addition to any pleasure reading. We try to cover a novel every other week and that includes time for DD to write a paper on the book.
    You should probably start with getting well acquainted with FL law and try to find a homeschool group near you.
    A to Z has a lot of good information on beginning to homeschool: http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/040798.htm#.UTrBPRzU9Xk
    sha_lyn68

Answer by sha_lyn68 at 11:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2013