Girl Scout meetings...they don't want the parents to attend.

I find that strange. My mom went to all the meetings when I was in it. I'm not sure I'm comfortable dropping my 6 year old off with strangers.

Anyway, is that the norm for parents not being allowed to ate ended meetings?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 11:22 AM on Mar. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• I would ask why parents aren't allowed to attend. That seems very strange to me.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 4, 2013

• They tried to tell me that when my daughter was in Daisies. I totally went off. I wasn't leaving my then 5 year old with a bunch of strangers. Needless to say, I didn't. I sat in on every single meeting, went to every event. Wait until they tell you that you can't go camping with them in the middle of the national forest because the 'child to adult ratio is one adult for every 8 girls". I was also told to 'cut the apron strings' She was FIVE!!!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 4, 2013

• It's like having the parent in the classroom ... Very non productive. Ask if you can get to know the leader first. But yes it's normal. I would think you'd want your child to be able to function without you up her butt 24/7 though.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I was a Girl Scout leader for 8 years. While I didn't forbid parents from sitting in on a meeting, it was always much better without them. Kids get distracted when their parents are there, and we didn't get much done. Of course, our troop was not a bunch of strangers. It was a troop through the school (Catholic school), and the parents knew us and the other kids in the troop from school and church. Parents rarely stayed and instead used the time to run errands.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I am a troop leader and I ALWAYS encourage parents to stay and participate if they want to! I see it as a great opportunity for the parent to get to know me and earn their trust and an opportunity for the parent to get some quality time in with the child and do something they wouldn't normally do together. Especially at the Daisy age, those girls are so young and usually they don't even know the leader, either! I would just speak to the leader and offer to help out with meetings, be the snack person and just tell her you would rather stick around for the meeting. Let your daughter know that she is there for girl scouts and needs to listen to the leader and particiapate with the girls. Or if you just want to hang out, sit in the back of the room and read a book. Eventually you will feel comfortable enough to leave her or you will be a helper that the leader needs anyway. I hope it works out for you!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:54 AM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I was a girl scout in the late 60s / early 70s and parents were NEVER at the meetings. If they're strangers they don't stay that way for long :) We knew most of the people involved because it was set up via the church.

I'm afraid I don't get the idea of parents sitting in - what for? It's not as if it's a spectator sport (lol).
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 11:55 AM on Mar. 4, 2013

• My mother never attended the meetings when I was in the Girls Scouts, many years ago. I don't find it strange at all. Girl Scouts isn't meant to be a mother-daughter activity. Having a bunch of parents in the meeting as well as all the kids is going to be hectic and inefficient for the scout leader. Every parent is going to have an unsolicited opinion and want their child first for everything. If you don't know anyone in the troop - a bunch of strangers - then maybe you should find a troop where you know at least one of the parents. Or take the time to get to know some of the parents in the current troop.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:55 AM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I have to agree with the PP, as a Girl scout, Boy Scout, homeroom parent, team manager mom, the kids do better when mom and dad are not hovering in the background all of the time. At 5, yeah parental involvement is great but as they get older organizations like scouts are a great way to start letting them "spread their wings". Maybe try to get to know the leaders better and be involved in the background, you shouldn't be thinking they are a bunch of strangers.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:58 AM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I should also mention that it has taken three years to earn the trust of one of my moms! I just recently was able to take her daughter (along with the rest of the troop) to a hockey game in our town and the mom did not attend! I was ground breaking and it made me feel good! Don't feel weird about showing up and sticking around...the leader should have no problem with that!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:59 AM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Yes that is the norm. Is this at a school, church or a person's home? At the first twwo you could stay outside the classrooms/ caffeteria. I a person's home the space is usually very limited. GS is for the girls and not the parents. It helps with friendships and selfsufficiency. If you don't want to leave her without you, why not volunteer to be an assistant leader?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2013