Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get free legal help for divorce?

have you guys got any legal help for divorce? I have absolutely no money and I do not know how to do about it. Please help. thank you ladies.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Mar. 4, 2013 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • Unfortunately, unless you can prove abuse you won't find any free help. You can file the forms yourself but, there will be a filing fee.

    Answer by 3libras at 12:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

  • you can call a few lawyers and they usually give a free consultation

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

  • Check with your Family Court and see if they have legal advocates. I know WA does. The appointment with a legal advocate cost 10 dollars. Call 211 and ask for free legal help completing the forms. Good luck.

    Answer by booklover545 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

  • You can also look at the state bar website for your state. Google your state's name and the words "bar association". Search their site for pro bono (free) legal help. Sometimes it is easily seen on the first page and sometimes you have to search a little deeper into the site. GL

    Answer by silverthreads at 12:15 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

  • Depending on where you live your state may offer a Legal Aide option. It's for people with little to no income and they can help you with any legal issues you may have including divorce. Try searching Legal aid and your state or city on google. I went through legal aid to get help with my divorce and they matched me with a lawyer and I wasn't responsible for any fees. Good luck :-)

    Answer by Mom2Dano at 12:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

  • If you are bot agreed on how the property shouldbe divided and you have no children, you can just file.
    If you have children nd can completely agree on custody and child support. You can just file it yourselves. If there is any disagreements you will have to go to court, you do not have to have an attourney but it is usually your best course, especially if your spouse has a lawyer. Remember though that the mony in savings or the bank account is joint (hopefully) and you cantake some of that.

    Answer by Dardenella at 12:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.