Bullied boy dies

A boy in a medically induced coma shortly after being punched on the schoolyard in what his family called a bullying incident has died, officials confirmed.

Bailey O'Neill, had just turned 12 Saturday. He was taken off life support Sunday.

"Late yesterday, we were informed about the death of Bailey O'Neill," Stephen Butz, superintendent of the Southeast Delco School District wrote in a statement this morning.

"Our school community is deeply saddened by this loss. Our condolences are with Bailey's family and friends during this very difficult time."

O'Neill, a sixth-grader at Darby Township School, was put in a medically induced coma after he began having seizures. The seizures began after another student allegedly punched him on the schoolyard on Jan. 10.

At the time, family members said two students were bullying the boy when one of them punched Bailey in the face, breaking his nose and causing a concussion.

O'Neill was checked out by doctors at DuPont Hospital in Delaware and released, but a few days later, he started having the violent seizures.

Butz, the superintendent, said the district was cooperating with Darby Township police, who were investigating the incident.

No charges were ever filed, and officials never released details of the altercation, nor directly connected the seizures with the schoolyard incident. However, it is not clear whether the death could alter that.

The office of Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan is investigating the incident, which was recorded by surveillance cameras.

Emily Harris, a spokeswoman for Whelan's office, called it an "active, ongoing investigation.

She said an autopsy will be performed and more information could be released following that.

The office is still assessing the video of the incident. The video shows O'Neill and a second boy involved in the incident. A third boy seen on the video did not take part in a physical act, according to authorities.

Meanwhile, the district is bringing in counselors for students.

"During this time, our thoughts and prayers are with Bailey's family and friends," Butz said in his statement, which was issued on the district website.

O'Neill was also remembered this morning on the social networking site, Facebook, where a page was erected in his honor after the incident became widely publicized.

"First of all I want to say the battle isn't over we will remember Bailey always and we will continue this fight until Bullying is eradicated," said a post on the Prayers for Bailey O'Neill Facebook page, which is not run by the family.

"With the heaviest heart we want to inform you all that Bailey has gone to be with the Lord please, please, please continue to pray for his family and continue on this fight for us until no child ever has to face a situation like this again. God Bless You all thank you so much!"

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20130304_Reports__Bullied_Delco_boy_dies.html

It's been almost two months and they are still investigating?! What do you think should happen to the school for failure to do something about him being bullied soon and also what should happen to the bully?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• This makes me sick. I have a 12 year old, and I just can't imagine what it would be like to lose a child to something so senseless and so preventable.

Teachers and school officials have to do more to prevent bullying. Parents have to be held accountable for their child's behavior, and kids who are bullied should feel as though they can report bullying and not fear retaliation.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Poor boy :( This scares the crap out of me. My Son was bullied already by a 5th grader & he's only in kindergarten. The Parents HAVE TO BE ACCOUNTABLE for their children's behavior.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I think there should be some job loss here and some pensions lost. How long was this escalating how long were they beating this kid up that it came to this and why is the kid who did it not being charged. When you beat a person to death you should not be allowed to wander free.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• :( This makes me so sick.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 12:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I don't understand why no charges were filed. The article doesn't make it clear, but that's the question I'm left with.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• This is just horrible. I have seen on more than one occasion that 1 punch can alter a person's life forever. A fall backward or a hit in just the right spot, and 1 person is gone before their time & the 1 doing the hitting is left to live with what they did. Criminally & mentally. School personnel need to have strict rules & protocol in place for kids who are being bullied & for handling those doing the bullying. I'm not sure I would want to see a 6th grader in jail til his 18th or 21st B-day, but some form of punishment should be done here.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• That poor kid. I see a wrongful death suite in the future.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• My first reaction would be to hold the staff that knew about the bullying and didn't do anything accountable for accessory to murder. But I know that's a little far fetched since they didn't know this would be the outcome. But ALL schools NEED to have a ZERO TOLERANCE policy on bullying. It's a shame how much kids get away with.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• It's awful. I can't help but feel sympathy for the other boys involved and their families, they are to blame but it's a lot to take in at their age.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• hugs and thoughts for both families who are dealing with this.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2013