This made me angry

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/video/us/2013/03/04/nr-cpr-senior-living-center.cnn

Why would they do this and why would a nurse stand by and allow this to happen? 

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 12:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• What was even sadder was her daughters response someone watched your mom die where is the outrage? I cannot understand these people your paying how much a year and some asshole doesn't have the good sense to learn cpr. Why move into a place where if something happens by accident and you need CPR your going to be allowed to die?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I would rather lose my job then be the reason why someone died. She was so calm about it like it was no big deal and refused to go find someone to help the lady. The place she works and her need to be held accountable.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• That whole thing is absurd. What's the point of being in a senior living facility if they're not going to do anything useful to help you in a medical emergency? I mean, hell, your neighbor can just as effectively call 911 and stand around going, "Nope, not gonna do it."

That's so sad that woman died, all because no one was willing to try to save her.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:53 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• That lady made me want to punch her threw the screen. Someone is dying in front of you and you stand by and watch it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• That just seems screwed up to me, and it seemed to not really be an issue of liability, so what gives.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• How can any nurse stand by and watch someone die like that? Fuck policy, I'd rather be unemployed and have a clean conscience then to let someone die right in front of me when I could have done something about it.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Not just that she wouldn't help, she prevented anyone else from helping, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• wow...and so calm about someone dying. i feel bad for the dispatcher...you can tell she's shocked & upset by the "nurses" refusal to help or to pass the phone to someone else who will. it didnt sound like their policy prevented any of the residents from helping since they arent a nursing facility and could be physically able to help.

the "nurse" sounded high...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I don't understand it, either. She said it's against their policy to do CPR? Something about the fact that this wasn't a nursing home but an independent living facility. Nurses were there to assist not treat? Whatever the case, I'd rather risk losing my job.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I'm in the minority. Maybe it's because my dad died almost a year ago at 90. He had a DNR and had for quite a few years. I don't see the point of reviving an 87 year old. If I'm over 80 years old I sure as hell don't want CPR on me, let me go. Also, it is the policy of that facility and when you go there you have to sign papers agreeing to it.

This was a three part facility......independent living, assisted living and nursing home.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 6:06 PM on Mar. 4, 2013