thermometer

When you use a digital thermometer under the arm pit do you add a degree?

nanjo33

Asked by nanjo33 at 8:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Depends on the doc. I usually tell them how I took it. Generally speaking you add a degree when you take it under the arm and subtract a degree when you take it rectally. I hope I helped.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:43 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Well... I don't. I just keep in mind what is "normal" for that type of temp.
    So an underarm temp should be around 97-98.9
    And rectal 98-99.9
    It's best when talking to the doctor to give them the actual number and the way you took it.

Rectal temps are the best... if you don't know how to take one, ask your doctor to show you the next time you go in. Under arm temps can be off by several degree's
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:12 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Don't adjust the temp from the underarm, just tell the doctor how you took it....but keep in mind it will be off depending on what the kid is wearing, did they just get out from under the covers or were they covered up...too much can affect the underarm temp. I use it as a guideline....if it seems too high and they're not dressed warmly or under covers I then take it rectally to double check.

(except my older two I do orally unless they've been drinking a lot recently)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:49 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I always took my kids temp when the were fine so I could see what their "normal" temp under the arm was. That way when they were sick I would know how much higher their temp was than normal.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 9:32 AM on Feb. 16, 2009