What would you do if a 7ish-8ish year old tackled and punched your 4 year old at the park?

We were at a new playground yesterday and my son picked up a ball that someone had left laying on the ground. Seconds later this older kid ran over and literally tackled my son to the ground and grabbed the ball from him (my son said the kid spit on him too but I didn't see that and he didn't have spit on him anywhere). Anyway the kid's parent was nowhere to be seen (surprise) so I told him if he touches my son again I'll find his parents personally and since my son wasn't hurt I brushed him off and he was fine. Now, the kid didn't punch my son, but it got me to thinking what I would have done if he would have literally started beating my kid up. I would have had to fight the urge to drop kick the bugger over the fence and into the street but in all honesty I probably would have called the police. What would you have done? I've never experienced such hostility with another kid and my son.

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Beat his ass all the way to his house lol. No, I'd call the cops & let thm deal with the punk
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I would have called the police and the park ranger after I stepped in between them. If I had the time, ability I would take pictures immediately.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I would've been in that child's face, putting the fear of God into him for doing what he did. There's no excuse for that kind of behavior.

Did the kid at least say he was sorry or was he a punk about it?
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I would have handled it just as you did. But why was that kid at a park alone without adult supervision? Hmm? I think I may have waited to see if I saw his Parent come around. If they did then I would have walked over & nicely explained what their kid did to mine. If they got nasty then I'd say "good, next time I'll call the Police if you cannot handle your child." Then walk away. If no Parent showed up, I would have called the local Police & told them that there is a violent child in the playground that just attempted to hurt my child. Wait for the Police to come, explain & have them take the child back home to the Parents & give them a "what for". Never handle a situation yourself. Just rescue your child to safety & dial 911.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• As soon as I stepped up the kid got all scared and became sheepish, which I didn't expect. We found the mom later, staring in the opposite direction talking on her cell phone. If it were something like name calling I would have found the parent first, but since he could have seriously injured my son by tacking him I didn't hesitate to step in regardless of where the parent was. I thought about telling her but since the kid stayed far away from my son after that we didn't bother. My husband was ready to knock the kid into next week though lol.
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• A child bullied my son who was older and I confronted his parents they thought it was funny their 13 year old sixth grader was picking on a kindergartner because he was bald and my son is blond haired and blue eyed so the principle said maybe I should not have shaved his head it represented hate. I replied it fell out from chemo. But I did take care of it I told the kids dad every time his kid hit my kid I would hit him. The father laughed but it stopped. Was I wrong yes but at the time I was tired of the principal standing by and watching it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Oh I would have gone ballistic! I would have told the kid to take me straight to his parents and ooooooh, man. If my child had been HURT I would have.... I don't even know! What a nightmare!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• It's so sad to realize some kids learn bullying from their PARENTS.
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• WTF, the parents thought it was funny that their kid was picking on a Kindergartner with cancer???? ^^^
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I would have called the police if the parents were no where to be found.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2013