My daughter just broke up with a guy. and now she is just locked up in her room. what should i do? i tried talkin to her but she wont let me in

jambajoy

Asked by jambajoy at 8:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Leave her to come to terms with what happened and let her know that you are there when she is ready to talk. If the lines of communication are open then she is more likely to come and talk when she is ready.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Let her be Mom...You've let her know you care and are there for her...she'll come to you when she's ready. Tough I know...been there done that with both of my son's. It's so hard to see our sweeties in pain : ( {{HUGS}}
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I recall that when my mom waited for me to cool down from anything, she would cook something I liked. I would come out of my room when I smelled something yummy. Of course I was probably very huntry by then. Good luck. I try to remember to stock up on patience with my own kids too.
    saltycoqui

Answer by saltycoqui at 9:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Take the lock off her door. Tell her you respect her space, but that in your home she cannot lock you out. Then give her a hug and some milk and cookies. She will be fine. If you are worried about her safety, call the police or kick down the door.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 9:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• ahhhhh teenage heatrbreak. that can be so painful. keep trying and let her know you know how she feels. weve all had our hearts broken
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 9:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Well I'm only 19 so I remember those Heartbreaks very well!! First thing I'm gonna say is... If she wants to go out with her friends or something you should definately let her, being cooped up in the house alone makes it WAY WORSE but going out and having fun make u feel ALOT better!! && When she is ready she will definately come talk to u all girls love heart to heart with their mommys!! No matter how old!! Clear ur schedule if she does though!! Do not say ur busy or blow her off that make things a lott worse!! GOOD LUCK!!
    dixieQT

Answer by dixieQT at 12:37 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I remember my dd's major breakup and I felt awful for her. She was crying like crazy. I found some old tapes and we danced to loud music starting with It's my Party and I'll cry if I want to! and we ate ice cream. I have no idea if she felt better afterward but I think that was the closest moment for us as mom and dd.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• GO IN AND TALK TO HER,LET HER KNOW THAT YOU ARE THERE FOR HER AND WHEN SHES READY TO TALK YOU WILL BE THERE,THEN give her a hug and let her be
    lifeisgood176

Answer by lifeisgood176 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2009