Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax write offs

My daughter babysat for a lady who always paid in cash,they want her social security number. I refuse to give it to them. H&R Block is doing the work.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2013 in Money & Work

Answers (10)
  • You have to report ALL income. H andR Block wont do anything with her SSN illegally

    How old is you DD and how much did she make babysitting?

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

  • That is unbelieveable! How old is she? If they paid her in cash then they have NO proof that she worked for them at all! HA! Tell them to go scratch!


    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:09 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

  • It depends on how much your daughter made. There is an amount that you have to report, but I don't know what that limit is.

    Answer by missanc at 3:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

  • How old is your daughter?

    Unless they paid her over $600 she does not have to give them anything.


    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

  • I wouldn't give it to them. I see no reason for them to need it. They paid her in cash, so there's no proof that they ever paid her, so there's nothing for them to do with it on their taxes.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 3:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

  • how much did she earn?

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

  • Do they plan to send her a 1099? If they did, they are too late. Those have to be sent out by January 31. If they can't send her a 1099, there's no reason for her to provide that information. If they want to 1099 her next year, they will have to have her fill out a W-9 this year.

    Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

  • no 1099. I told them they will not be getting her social security number and she didn't earn much it was less than 500

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

  • less that $600 and you don't have to report it. It's far far to late for them to report the payments as a deduction - that has to be done and sent to your daugher/ post-marked by Jan 31st. You did the right thing. If they intended on claiming/reporting the payments, they should have had your daughter fill out a W-4 as an employee or W-9 as an independent contractor and written checks for required receipts written by your daughter upon receipt of payment.

    Answer by daylily888 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

  • Saturday night babysitting is not deductible to them anyway. If she watched the kids so they could both go to work that is another thing. But it sounds to me like you have a teen who was watching their kids so they could go out. That is not tax deductible. If she had been watching their kids 45-50 hours a week while they worked it would have added up to a lot more than $600. These people are trying to cheat on their taxes.

    Answer by LoveMyDog at 6:43 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
Good news!!!

Next question overall (Food & Drink)
If you drink coffee...