When you get migraines (not just a regular headache) does your vision go funky?

I'm getting a migraine right now, and my head doesn't hurt yet, but I can tell one is coming because I see a black dot. I know in the next few minutes it's going to spread and make it so that I can't see to drive or see the keyboard. I tried to explain that to my dr before and it's like he doesn't believe me. Have you ever experienced this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2013 in Health

• Yes I can go blind in one eye if I am having an "aura". Mine looks like a strobe light almost, and it moves across my eye to the point of blocking vision.
    Once it's gone, the migraine follows. It's like a warning sign.
    I can't write, read, type, drive, etc. I hate it!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• yes
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• yep. i get these squiggly lines that make it hard to really focus on any object. about 30 mins after its gone i get a migraine. they're called auras and are common with migraines. if your doctor doesn't believe you then you need a new doctor b/c any doc worth his salt would know about auras & migraines.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I have no vision whatsoever. But when a migraine comes on, I can see moving, flickering lights anyway. The doctors have told me that the reason is because the impending migraine stimulates certain parts of the brain, so it doesn't really have to do with the visual process, it's a cerebral thing. If your doctor doesn't get it, find someone else to treat your migraines, because a visual aura is very common.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I get severe pain behind my eyes and become very sensitive to light through the whole migraine

(side note: I discovered peanuts are a trigger for migraines in me)
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Squiggly neon type figures and sometimes I lose sight in one eye. But I don't ever get the headaches. Thankfully, they are only ocular
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 3:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Yes, that happens to me with every headache, and I can lose most of my sight in my left eye. It starts with squiggly lines and bright flashes then my left eye feels like there is a cottony type covering over it. I swear I can feel it there, it seems to real!!! And, yes get another doctor. Any doctor or NP is going to know about this, and be able to help you with different meds depending on your headache type.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Yep. I get migraine auras. For me it's more like tunnel vision but I always know a migraine is coming when that happens.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• My migraines always start with a bright white spot in the middle of my line of sight. It's like I looked at a very bright light, but it doesn't go away. It expands into a ring, slowly. When the light is gone, I get hit with the pain. From the time I see light until the pain starts, it's about 20 minutes.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Yes- I see little dots of light that look like a swarm of mosquitoes dancing in font of my eyes.
    That's how you can tell its a migraine and not a sinus headache or something.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2013