Vent,,, How can my DD get an incomplete for last homework assignments when the teacher never gave back her homework composition book?

It's not unusual that DD would come home with a note saying no homework for the week. So last week when she didn't come home with her composition book (used for homework) it wasn't like a big deal to me. I'm thinking okay she didn't have time to look at them and this week she'd return them with the new assignments. But this afternoon DD comes home with a copy of last weeks homework assignment and in red ink "incomplete." WTF?? Incomplete?? The last time she's had her composition book was when she turned it Friday before last. DH is like it's okay it's only homework she can get it done whenever. No it's not okay with me. I've busted my @zz making sure that every week she has homework I'm at that table with her getting it done. We get the list on Tuesday and since it K, we'll have the work done by Wednesday. How hard is it to draw 5 pictures and write 3 sentences?? I'm probably pissed for no reason but I just can't believe this teacher. All year she hasn't missed an assignment, we've even sent the book in early by mistake because she was finished. Why on earth would I now not have the work finished? I wish I could be more like DH and not care as much but I know how hard she works to get the stuff done. DH normally takes her to school but I think tomorrow I'll be taking her early.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ass. ... not ,,,.

Your daughter isn't the only one with incompetent teachers...
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 4:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• So if she had the list of homework, why did you never see it and just use regular notebook paper to do it or ask for her notebook back?

That's your fault not the teachers.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 4:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I agree with your husband. Since its K, as long as she is where she should be in class, she can work on homework anytime.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• You mean a human made a mistake? Good god call your local news! Eye roll....just explain to the teacher what happened.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• For crying out loud, it's kindergarten! Nobody ever got denied admission to college for a week's worth of missed kindergarten homework. And really, it's your responsibility to keep track of the book. If you didn't see it come home, it should have been asked about.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• The book comes home every week. It didn't come home last week. Why didn't you send a note or call the teacher to ask about it? If it comes home every week, and then one week it doesn't, to me that's a reason to call the teacher and check things out, make sure that all is well.

You can't blame the teacher alone for this. If you really want to get technical, surely your daughter saw the other kids get theirs or heard the teacher announce homework or something, so she could have said something to you about the teacher not giving her the book she needs.

And your husband is right: it's not the end of the world. Do the homework and send it in. Problem over.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• While I don't necessarily think it's right for the teacher to have given her an incomplete, now might be a good time to learn the lesson that when you know something is going to be due, it's still your responsibility to make sure you have all the necessary tools even if they aren't handed to you. If she/you knew the next week's assignment was going to be due (assuming there are assignments every week) why not ask the teacher for the book back? At a young age I don't expect a child to know to do this, and I do think the teacher should let her make up the work. But it's a good lesson to learn for the future. We have employees that will let things fall through the cracks when they know something is due or they are expected but then turn around and blame the manager or whoever for failing to do something when a simple reminder on their end would have saved the hassle.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• @funlovinlady ,,, NO she did not have the list of homework. If she did I would have sent it to school using my own paper. No brainer. She didn't get any homework assignments for last week. The homework sheet I saw was from today when I opened her book bag and saw incomplete.
    @ wendythewriter ,,, It's not the 1st time that she's kept the composition book for longer. When I send a note asking where it is, in the past I've been told that there's no homework for the week or that she'll get it tomorrow. So by her not coming home with it and it's happened before I assumed with her days off last week she didn't finish grading them again.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• @ FreeForAll ,,, it's not just the teacher, I've had complaints about other staff including the principal.

IDK,,, things have gone down since I was in school.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Even if it usually is "no homework" or "get it tomorrow" when you ask, keep asking. That's the first thing I learned when my oldest started school: you can never, ever assume that the way it was yesterday is the way it is today. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2013