after you have completed your basic training and come home and then get married, does the military pay to move the wife to where her husband is now stationed?

worriedmom1957

Asked by worriedmom1957 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• Nope. It's out of your pocket
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 4:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Nope, out of pocket.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• My husband and I got married the day after he graduated from basic training. His first duty station was in Germany so he had to go first, get me sponsorship (approval for me to move there). During that time, I also had to update my passport to show my new married name. It took about 6 weeks but the military paid for my plane ticket. I had already sent my stuff when the movers came to pick up his belongings.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Oops, now that I think about it, we had to pay out of pocket for the tickets and then we were reimbursed for it. In order for the military to pay for it first, I would of had to wait another 30 days for a SOFA passport.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• He needs to go to PAC/Finance with the marriage license to prove you are married. To get the ball rolling. So he can have housing allowance for married couples. Stuff like that. If he already has orders to go to his first duty station. He is going to have to go, alone and get this marriage thing started.  If you are  not on his orders.  He will have to get them amended.

Answer by louise2 at 6:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Why didn't you put this under Military?

Answer by louise2 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• why is it that I have gotten 6 different answers? And when do they get their orders after basic training or graduation or before?
    It's the army, and do they always get sent over seas their first time?
    worriedmom1957

Comment by worriedmom1957 (original poster) at 7:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Maybe you were answered by 6 different people with 6 different experiences?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 7:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• I only see 3 different answers anyway...
    maecntpntz219

•  And when do they get their orders after basic training or graduation or before?

I can only speak for my husband's experience. He was in the infantry so he did his basic and AIT together, so a few days before graduation, he received his orders. As far as his first duty station, my husband had in his contract for it to be in Europe. About half of the guys he graduated with also went to an overseas duty station. It really just depends on the needs of the Army. And lastly, go ahead and get use to 6 different answers. That is how the Army is. They will tell you one thing, and then 10 different things after that. Another favorite is to hurry up and wait. Learn to go with the flow. What is your husband's MOS and where is he doing basic at?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2013