bad thoughts....

so i want to start off by saying i would never ever hurt my son but i just feel like when i am really tired or drained and i cant take him crying, i have bad thought. does that make me a horrible mother?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I can completely understand what you mean. I have a 20 month old who JUST started sleeping 4-5 hours at a time. For a few months she was waking hourly. I would also think bad thoughts, but would never. ever, ever do anything but the best for her.

Sleep deprivation, stress, and hormones can do that to you.

What you need to do is talk to your doctor right away. It is VERY common, and you are going to be fine.

Just keep loving that baby and get help :) And a mommy break ... those are SO important.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 8:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• you might have PPD
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 8:46 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• No it doesn't make you a bad mom and it doesn't mean that you have PPD. It means that you are probably stressed and need a short break from your child. I was that way at the beginning. If you have someone who can take the baby for a few hours and you can take a nap or go get a pedicure, you are more than likely going to feel better and be a better mom because of it. If you notice that you are getting stressed there is nothing wrong with asking someone to take the baby for a few hours. I wish you all the luck and hope that you can get a short break so that you feel better.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:49 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• You are one of many mothers on cafemom who have these thoughts or have had these thoughts. It is more than likely PPD. It would be best to seek out and get some counseling and medication. Your obgyn can perscribe meds w/o going to a counselor. There is A LOT of help out there for PPD and many of the moms here will help you. You will get many responces to this post I am sure but I urge you to get on some meds to feel better and to chat with some of these moms on here. It doesnt make you a bad mom these are emotions difficult to control.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 8:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I did the same thing..I don't want to go in to some of the thoughts I had, but it's gotten easier as time has passed by and I've gotten more use to it..Are you a new mom? I know it can REALLY be stressful in the beginning and very frustrating..I think I had post partum depression, I didn't get on meds though...I just naturally let it go away...I dealt with it myself and controlled it..It's possible, really..People think you need a medication but we have control over our minds and if we actually try to stop the bad thoughts it gets easier..
    Anonymous

• What sort of bad thoughts??? I don't think having bad thoughts makes you a bad mother, but you might want to talk to your doctor. I had PPD, cried a lot, and became frustrated easily. They put me on Lexapro and it helped tremendously. If you are feeling frustrated, put the baby in the crib and walk away for a few minutes. You'll be surprised how much it will help you. Then go back in and deal with whatever is the issue (feeding, diapering, just needing attention, etc.). Hang in there girl!!
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• It makes you HUMAN. It's OK to HAVE bad thoughts...acting on them is what's wrong.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:54 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Nope, it doesn't make you a bad mom...it makes you human.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:55 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Can you lay baby down in a safe place like a crib or playpen and take a few minutes outside to regroup?
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• ppd, please get help. its completely normal, just remember that. please just get help, noone will look down on you.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 9:31 PM on Feb. 15, 2009