What is your kindergartner learning so far this year...

What are they working on in regards to reading, writing and math in particular. I have been homeschooling my 5 year old for pre-kinder. She is supposed to start kindergarten in the fall and I am feeling like we are already covering kindergarten topics so I was just trying to get a feel for what kinders learn and how much further I should go with her or if I should just slow down or even stop for a while.

She is reading pretty good. She is reading a beginner chapter book currently. This is her first chapter book though. Mostly she read story books. She can answer comprehension questions readily and predict what will happen next. We are starting to work on self to text comparisons next week.

She is doing basic adding and subtraction. She is also doing two digit adding with regrouping. She can do simple fractions (1/2, 1/4. 3/4. whole)We are going to art measurements soon (inches and feet)

Her writing mechanics are pretty good but her actual writing still needs work. She knows capitol letters go at the beginning of a sentence and punctuation at the end but er fine motor skills are still emerging.

She can name the first 16 presidents and locate about 25 states on an unlabeled map.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2013 in

• My son knows all of those except presidents and states, I do not think they have started that yet.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:12 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Good grief, let your kid be a kid.
    Anonymous

• Capital and capitol. Know the difference.
    Anonymous

• I can answer for what my niece is learning in kindergarten (my kid is still little). Her school is doing themes of sorts. Like they did a week of spiders (spiders creep me out but the kids LOVED it - she was talking my ear off about all of it). Learned about spider anatomy and how they make silk and use it to make the webs, learned about what spiders eat and where they live, how they are different than other bugs and animals, what purpose they serve in nature, etc. They also did a thing on rocks and crystals and had hands on activities like watching salt crystals grow and cracking open geodes, etc. They do a lot of themes like this. And they incorporate language and math as part of it in many ways - taking measurements, reading and writing stories, etc. They do themes around holidays too. She goes to an AWESOME school! :)
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 12:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Good grief, let your kid be a kid.

Ha! She is a kid! What do you think she would be doing in pre-kinder? LEARNING! She spends 3 hours a day on school work and the rest is free play and play dates. Actually less learning time than pre-kinder.

Capital and capitol. Know the difference.

Thank you for pointing that out. I do know the difference but apparently autocorrect does not. (:
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• damn.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2013

• More then I remember doing In (K) that's for sure.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 7:35 PM on Apr. 5, 2013