Postpartum or just baby blues?

I'm a mommy of a 3 year old and a 1 month old. After being left alone for the first time with both kids, I started feeling overwhelmed, so much so that I would yell at my daughter for the littlest things. I've never had a short fuse so this has been a surprise for me. It's gotten to the point where I can't control my anger and I would get mad. I would then feel super sad at the way I'm acting and start crying. I feel like a failure for not being that natural super mom. Are these feelings normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2013 in General Parenting

• PPD

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Probably best to talk to your doctor about it. It doesn't sound like the baby blues I had.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Ppd
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• First of all, no one is a super mom natural or otherwise! Secondly, I think you are experiencing PPD. Make an appointment with your Dr ASAP. You need to take care of yourself before you can take care of others.
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 10:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• Could be either, I guess, but talk to your doctor. Definitely better safe than sorry.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2013

• For me, I had a good 2 months each delivery where I didn't want to be alone with the kids (not because I was worried about hurting them or anything, just didn't want to be the one that was responsible because I was so tired and sore). I cried, had huge changes in my appetite, was getting no sleep, and was snippy. It went away though. I would hate to tell someone to wait if it was PPD, but I would think after only 1 month, it could go either way.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:56 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• You're in a challenging transition time & your difficulties reflect how hard it is. It's overwhelming! That's why you find yourself coping poorly (yelling about things you would normally handle well, and just generally reactive.)
    I experienced this after my second pregnancy. I was home with a 4yo & a pair of newborn twins. We also had some family stresses (health issues with my husband & my mom was living with us.) I didn't handle everything well, and it showed in things like my quick reactivity & low tolerance for frustration with my 4yo.
    My doctor said she didn't even have to "go there" considering the possibility of hormonal/PPD issues; the stressors were obvious.
    I did seek counseling (got a referral) which was a good because what was going on with me was that under significant stress, my old (counter-productive) coping mechanisms were coming into play because old issues (childhood trauma) were triggered.
    You need support!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:51 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Hormones out of whack plus lack of sleep....Please talk to your doctor!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2013