I'm trying to make baked mac and cheese for the first time. If anyone would like to share one of your favorite recipes it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rochelle976

Asked by Rochelle976 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/recipes/main_maccheese.shtml

Answer by gdiamante at 9:21 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• You can make this, with or without the Rotel.

2 cups milk

5 Tbsp. butter

4 Tbsp. all purpose flour

2 c. sharp cheddar cheese

3 c. cooked macaroni noodles

1 can Rotel tomatoes and chilis, drained (I think it's like 10 oz.)

preheat your oven to 350 F. In a saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the flour to the butter & whisk until smooth, about 1 min. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly w/ a wire whisk until smooth. Continue stirring constantly until the milk starts to thicken, do not let it boil.Once it's thickened, add the cheese & stir until its melted, add the rotel. Stir the cooked noodles in until covered in cheese. Pour the mac & cheese into a butter-sprayed baking dish & bake uncovered for 45 minutes.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Also, sometimes we add cooked cubed ham to it.

As for the cheese, i meant to say it should be shredded.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 9:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• I just make stove top mac and cheese, top it with extra shredded cheese and bread crumbs, dot with butter and broil until crispy and brown.

Take a large oven proof skillet and bring two cups of water and one cup of whole milk to a boil. Add one cup of elbow noodles and simmer until al dente 6-8 minutes, stir in two tablespoons butter. Season with hot sauce, mustard, salt and pepper. Add up to two cups of shedded cheddar cheese, a hand full at atime until it taste good. top with more shredded cheese, buttered bread crumbs and a sprinkle of parm. broil 2-5 minutes until gb and d.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:07 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Start by making a white sauce. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a sauce pan on medium heat, add 1/4 cup flour and stir and cook until bubbly. Stir in 3 cups hot milk (I warm it in the microwave). Whisk until thick. Add 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp. dry mustard and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder. Shred 2 to 3 cups of cheese. You will get your best flavor if you mix 2 or more kinds of cheese. Make sure one of the cheeses is sharp in flavor like sharp cheddar or swiss. Pick cheeses that you like. Add cheese to white sauce and stir over low heat until melted. Stir in 1 lb. cooked noodles. Pour into a baking dish and bake at 350 degrees until brown and bubbly. My family doesn't like the bread crumb topping, but you can add that if you like.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 11:11 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I use this recipe:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?recipeID=35180&Source=SearchResultPage&terms=macaroni%20and%20cheese

But I don't put in the mustard of Worcestershire sauce and I top with bread crumbs before putting it in the oven.
    Anonymous

• For some reason, I put 2 c. shredded cheese....and it should be 4 cups. Sorry.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 4:27 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• my mom gave me this as a teen (a long time ago) my kids who are grown still ask for this casserole i call it "six ingredient casserole" 1 lb hamburger...cooked...1 box mac cheese cooked...1 can stewed or chopped tomatoes...1 can of corn...1 cup sour cream, mix everything together,place in a casserole dish ...top evenly with grated parmesan cheese,cook uncovered at 350 for half an hour ...ENJOY!..(better the next day)!
    peewee76

Answer by peewee76 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 21, 2009