Did I do the right thing?

My friend called me. She was bein slapped around by her fiance. Verbally abused. She wanted a witness. Im states away from her! Ive never felt so helpless in my life!
She was too scared to call the cops. She has a two year old with her.
Shes so scared and feels helpless!
As a former survivor, I kno what shes goin through. Dont bash, especially if youve never been in our shoes!
Eventually, her a$$hole of a fiance took away and hung up the phone. No one answered after numerous trys to call back!
From states away, I called her local police..... Did I do the right thing?

TheLostMuppet

Asked by TheLostMuppet at 9:01 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• You did the right thing. If there is nothing going on they will find that out when they get there. If something horrible happens to her and you could have prevented it by calling the cops, but you didn't, you would never forgive yourself!! You are being a good friend. She might not realize that and may be mad at you, but you might have saved her life!!!!
    Anonymous

• You did the right thing. Good for you. All of us who have been thru this needed a friend like you at one time or another. You definitely did the right thing.
    jenlenr

Answer by jenlenr at 9:05 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• probably won't mean anything since you are out of state.
    pinkbubblegumme

Answer by pinkbubblegumme at 9:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• You did do the right thing. Most people will agree with me there. If you called the police and told them what happened, they will respond. Good job!! You are a good friend and should feel good about what you did.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 9:13 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Yes you did the right thing. Doesn't matter if you live in another state you called and I'm sure they went to check it out. Your friend needs to get out though even if that means a shelter. She should be more scared to stay than leave. Hope things work out for her.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• You did all you could. Here is the National Domestic Violence Hotline number, I cut it out of the paper a couple weeks ago. Perhaps you could give it to her the next time you are in contact. I don't know if you would call it whether they could advise you or not.

800-799-7233

Answer by Bmat at 9:17 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• yes, you did the right thing
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 9:18 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• HELL YEAH!!!! Girl, U made the right choice. Im so sorry. I cant imagine how worried u must be feeling right now. I pray shes ok....Please let me know!
    Shan4606

Answer by Shan4606 at 9:25 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• yes you did the right thing. i hope hes in jail
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 9:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Yes you did!! Great job for doing something about it, even if the local cops don't do anything..at least you stood up!
    livn4betterdayz

Answer by livn4betterdayz at 9:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2009