how do i get my 2 year old to fall asleep on her own ?

I have always held her to get her to fall asleep but now I want to teach her how to fall asleep in her own bed at night , which her bed is beside mine and that works for us .

bamagirl2836

Asked by bamagirl2836 at 10:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What's your bedtime routine?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:18 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• well people might think its a little weird , but it works for our family anyways at 9pm we go to our room and we watch tv until they her and her 5 year old bro fall asleep which is usely between 9 and 930 pmthen I put her in her bed when she falls asleep.
    bamagirl2836

Comment by bamagirl2836 (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Why don't they have their own rooms?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• they do but they won't sleep there I've tried to get 5 year old to sleep in his room forever , but I always wind up not getting any sleep so I just gave that up until he's older and with the 2 year old I feel better sharing our room with her for now.
    bamagirl2836

Comment by bamagirl2836 (original poster) at 10:38 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Turn off the tv. Bright lights from a tv suppress the bodies ability to make melatonin, which is what helps you fall asleep. Switch to some soft music if anything. When my kids went through a period of wanting me to lay down with them I would set a timer for 5 mins, when that went off I gave them a kiss and left. Not saying there were absolutely no tears, but they knew what to expect and it worked.

Answer by missanc at 10:45 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• I agree with cutting out the tv portion of the routine. Read to them or just snuggle with some music.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• TV tends to get kids revved up, not ready for sleep. Like the others said, try reading and soft music instead. I like the timer idea a lot. Also, don't hold your daughter till she falls asleep because she won't learn to drift off on her own. Put her in her bed while she's still awake. If need be, give her a stuffed toy she can talk to till she dozes off.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:00 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• try reading a book nd let him/she know that u r right there if he/she needs u leave a light on so he/she won't b scared.....it takes time but it will work
    jecaryousmom27

Answer by jecaryousmom27 at 12:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2013