If your child has an injury that "looks" bad....

do you avoid going out in public as much as possible until it goes away? i ask because while i was using the bathroom yesterday my youngest gave my 4 year old a black eye. i wish i had seen exactly what happened because they both keep changing their stories. but nonetheless it looks terrible and im afraid if i go anywhere people will think shes been abused! going anonymous for obvious reasons.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Mar. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• I know the feeling. But no, I don't avoid going out. When something like that happens, and I see someone staring or they come right out and ask, I invite my kid to explain what happened.

Kids get hurt. And unless he's got a constant black eye or says "Mom beats me up", I don't think most people are going to jump straight to abuse.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:48 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• No, accidents happen. Does the oldest go to a daycare or school? My son had a huge starch across his face that was caused by another kid and its not scared and I still look him in public. I would think the parent did something if they were trying to hide the fact the child had an injury.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• scratch*
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:50 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• no i dont really hide them, not long ago we were packing the kids into our mini van & as my son ran up to the car my husband hit the remote door opener. well the door opened and hit my son in the head. left a cut and bump on his head. my husband felt terrible.. if anyone asked we explained what happened. everyone we know knows we would never hurt our kids and strangers can kiss my butt lol all kids get hurt sometimes
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 10:51 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• yeah,I've done that
    My son conked his head on the coffee table once,and gave himself a huge goose egg,a big bruise,and a half closed up eye. We didn't take him out for a week. It looked BAD......

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Know the feeling but I would not keep them inside. Hope your baby gets better soon
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 11:05 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Nope, my son wrestles he's walked off the mats with massive bruises on his face, cuts ,red marks. It's part of the game, if someone asks i tell em exactly what happened.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:11 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• nah...kids get hurt ALL the time! I would not automatically assume abuse
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:30 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• I might feel a little self-conscious about going out, but not enough to keep me home. If anybody asked, I'd just say what happened. If the explanation wasn't good enough, I'd ask if that person had kids, and if the kids had ever fallen or gotten in the way and ended up hurt. End of story, because it's happened to all of us.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:54 AM on Mar. 5, 2013

• IDK. My kids haven't really had any injuries that I would be worried about someone attributing them to me. It's hard for me to say how I would feel about taking them out if they had that kind of injury. All in all, kids will be kids and bruises, bumps and scrapes happen. I think people might be more concerned if your child looked afraid of you or withdrawn from you in public.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:04 PM on Mar. 5, 2013