I need advice if I should switch or not.

I am thinking on switching my kids daycare. The reason being is I want to save money and plus the daycare I want to switch them to is close to a better school then where my daughter will attend. That's what got my search started in the first place I wanted a better school for my children.
Any who. The daycare the are at now I am now paying $250 more then when they first started 2 years ago. I thought it was suppose to go down  as they get older but it just keeps going up and even if they go part time there isn't much savings in money maybe $150 a month.
I am playing close to $1000 a month for my two kids now, the schools near there are very piss poor rated and behind academically. Its a large daycare. I love it and the people are great.
The one I am thinking on I will be paying $800 then it goes down to $700 once my DD started Kindergarten in the fall. Its like 1/3 the size of the other one. There is only one toilet for the 16 kids that are in the room. Its off a very busy street as well.
I have a friend who's DD goes there and he says he loves it but she is also in the infant room. My kids will be in the preschool older kids room. It's the same room.  The schools near are rated very good and either on track or above academically.
I am so torn on what to do. The smallness bothers me and so does the single toilet. I know there is nothing wrong with small day cares I am just use to a larger one.
Both daycares follow the same guidelines.
What would YOU do? Any advice?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• $1000 month? Are you the only income? If not I'd say it might be more cost effective for you to stay home!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• What is it about the smallness of the daycare that bothers you? Not arguing or invalidating, just wondering. Is the single toilet kept clean?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:43 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• As far as *I* know, the school your child attends is based off of the address where YOU live, not the address of the daycare your child attends.

All things considered, I'd stay with the place you're going now, even though it's more expensive.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• I would change to the new place I think in the long run you will get more benefits that where they are right now. good luck
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 1:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Few things I'm not clear about that I would also consider: Do your kids love it where they are? Would it be hard for them to adapt to a change? What does the nearby schools have to do with it? Around here it's possible to have amazing daycare centers in poor school zones since they are completely separate, but the kids go to schools based on where they live (zones). Can you talk to the director at the current place about cutting you some slack with the increasing prices? Some places will negotiate with a parent they want to keep. Does the new place have a genuinely open-door policy? If you are really considering sending your kids there, I'd swing by 1-2 more times unannounced at different times of the day to get a snapshot of how well the place is run (clean bathrooms, etc.) Oh, and I'm also that mom who ambushes parents in the parking lot just to get their quick honest perspective on the place -everyone seemed to understand
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Sebbie would you want your kids to go to a school where they fall below the national average on teaching?

Absolutely NOT! Sending my kids to the best public school I can find is really really important to me. I guess I just don't understand how the location of the daycare center has anything to do with which elementary school they eventually go to. Like I said, over here the daycare centers are completely separate from the schools, so people send their kids wherever they want for daycare but they will go to the kindergarten at the school that their house is zoned for (and I insist on only living in neighborhoods zoned for really good schools). But if it's different where you live, then their long-term education is WAY more important than the inconvenience of being cramped. Plus, they can start to build friendships that they can bring with them into elementary school so that transition would be easier.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Just seems small for as many kids that may be there. There will be 16 kids in the room and its like 400 Square feet. I have no idea if its kept clean. It was clean when I saw it but that was also closing time. They stated it was kept clean. Also the kids will eat at the same tables they play at.
    LostSoul88

Comment by LostSoul88 (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• yes only income. Well its $962 then I pay $35 a month for my DDs dance
    LostSoul88

Comment by LostSoul88 (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Sebbie would you want your kids to go to a school where they fall below the national average on teaching? They love their daycare but can adapt to change. We have already did a special permit and was approved for the school near the daycare I want.
    I stated I already know someone who's child goes there and they love it.
    LostSoul88

Comment by LostSoul88 (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• You can get special permits to go to a school near your work or daycare here. We live out of bounds for the school I want but all the school we are in bound for are rated D or F this one is rated a B.
    LostSoul88

Comment by LostSoul88 (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Mar. 5, 2013