Following Child

If you only had one child and you had the money to do so, would you follow that child if, as an adult, he/she moved several hours away?

Or same question if ALL your kids moved away to the same area.

I've joked from the get-go with DD that I would do that and she would never get away from me, but I've never really been serious. Said it today to another parent at DD's school and made it clear afterward that I would not really do it and her response was "Why not? I'd do it if I could! I might just pick a favorite and leave everyone else behind."

So it got me thinking...would you follow if you could?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 2:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• If they both moved to the same general area, I might. Not like right next door, but near enough that I could see future grandchildren often, be able to help out in an emergency, things like that. I would try very hard not to get overinvolved in their lives, but I'm not sure how good I'd be at that. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• It depends on where they moved to. I can't see myself ever moving away from where I am - it's so close to perfect! but if I'm older and don't have to worry about schools, opportunities for kids, or employment opportunities, I might.
    I have 5 kids, so I don't see them ever all moving to the same place (unless they stay close by, which I'm hoping!) but if I had 1 I would give it serious thought.

Answer by missanc at 2:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• If both of my girls moved to the same general region, yes I would. As it is right now, I only live where I do b/c my ex husband placed a residency restriction on my children. They can't move (and neither can I since I want them to live with me) until they are 18, unless my ex breaks the restriction before then. So, depending on where my oldest gets accepted to college, my youngest & I may move to her area.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• No. My boys have scattered to different states, even one in another country (Japan). I miss them terribly, and worry about them all the time. I was much happier as a hands on mom. Being a distant mom is scary!! I liked it when I saw them everyday, knew they were tucked in for the night, etc. BUT, watching them mature and prosper, find their way in life is my role now. They would never have made some of the decisions they made (and they were really good ones) if I had been there being over protective. I wouldn't have meant to interfere, but just my very presence as a "safety net" would have altered their decisions...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• If both my kids moved to the same location or near I would move to be near them for sure.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• ONLY if they moved some place warm! I want to move farther south right now, but am stuck because I don't want to NOT see my kids and my grand kids.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• I wouldn't. When my sisters & brother all got married we moved far away. Guess what? We all came home! 3 of my siblings also moved back in with my parents for a short time while they got their homes built. I'm the only one who didn't but come home I did.

I figure the chances are pretty good that at least 2 of my daughters will move home eventually as they're already talking about wanting to do it. The 3rd won't simply because she lives next to her fiance's family and it's a good situation for her.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• It would depend on who moved where and if my mom was still living.

I'm an only and my mom did eventually follow me. And now she lives only a few houses away. She left my elderly grandmother when she decided to come to Colorado. As much as she is a pain in the a$$, I doubt I'd ever abandon her like she did my grandmother.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• My dad always wanted his own Walton's Mountain. I'd probably move where my daughter went, since by the time she's old enough, I'll be close to retirement age. And even if I don't retire, I can work from anywhere.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• If they moved somewhere awesome- yes!
    Not to the frozen tundra or something.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2013