What's your afternoon routine for your school aged child(ren)?

mine is in kindergarten. we get home after picking her up around 2:20 (1:20 on mondays), and then she has a snack and goes straight to the computer. i let her play on the computer until 3, and then she does her homework, it takes at most 30 minutes. then she plays outside until dinner is ready, and she goes back outside until shower/bedtime.

just curious what your after school routines are. ours seems to work for us. she is too keyed up to do her homework immediately after walking in the door, but if i wait too long (a few times time has slipped away and she didn't start til 4) then her focus is gone and she complains the whole time and it takes her a whole lot longer to get it done. so 3 seems to be a working compromise thus far.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• My son is 10 and goes to an after school program. They have homework soon as they get there, than snack and outdoor playtime until parents pick up. If the weather is bad, than inside play time or movies.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• After the bus, we come home. We'll either go for a walk or bike ride, weather permitting. Otherwise, we'll go inside and she'll have a snack. She does some homework & then plays some Wii for 20 minutes. Then it's shower time, and reading time. Dinner, & bed.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• School gets out at 3:30 but by the time I make it through the pick up line it is normally 3:45 and we get home at about 4. On the way home he does his math practice. When we get home, he will get a snack and relax for about 30 minutes and then he goes outside to play until 6 pm. We have dinner at 6. After that we will play a game, clean up from dinner, and then do our bedtime routine (bath, snack, read, brush teeth, bed).

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• They are playing with this toy right now. We have already done math, science, and lit. We rode bikes earlier & ate and I think we'll head to Target in a bit. We'll do the remainder of our school day when we get back.

Tesserae

Answer by Tesserae at 2:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• My DD is 5, and when I pick her up at 3:45, she is in no mood for homework, so it's play time until about 5, when she's still able to get homework done without too much trouble.
    By the way, I've recently found that with really repetitious homework, like handwriting worksheets, that if we race, my DD gets it done much, much faster, and without complaint. For example, if she's supposed to write the letter L at least six time on a row, for eight rows, I'll say "can you finish two lines faster than I can feed the cats?"..."Oh, you finished already? How about two more lines before I finish feeding them?" She'll be half done the worksheet in two minutes. Then I just find another short task where we race for the last four lines.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• she has a snack, then tv time, then homework, then supper and bath, then the rest of homework, then brush teeth and go to bed
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• I pick up my private school kids at 3:45 (DS1 now goes to a public high school and rides the bus on days he comes home directly after classes.)

If we have no appointments or errands they grab a snack and work on homework. DD is in 8th and usually has a ton of work to do. (Looking forward to next year when she'll go to the same school as DS1 and have longer days but less homework.) DS2 will do his assignment for the day and then read. After that he plays or runs around outside. Around 5 pm I have him shower. Dinner is any time between 6:30-7:15. We might watch some tv or just hang out with each other after dinner.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• I get my son from his grandmother after 5:00. We have dinner at 5:45 or earlier. After dinner we do some worksheets (he's in preschool and there is no homework) After that is bath time then a story and lights out.
    Anonymous

• My Son is in kindergarten but the bus doesn't drop him off until almost 4. So he comes in & jumps in the bath first. He relaxes & I give him a snack in the bath too! LOL! Then he's out around 4:30. Then he does his homework. When he's done he'll play until dinner is ready at around 5:30.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:05 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• My daughter is in pre-K. If I try to have her do her ABC worksheets right after school, it's a losing battle. For her, it seems to work better to do them after dinner, when she's had some time to unwind. Every kid is different, I guess. If my teenage stepson doesn't start on his homework right away when his mind is still focused on school, chances are he won't do it at all.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2013