Trying to get onto SO's medical plan.

Would you get married to get onto your SO's medical plan. ( I have pre cancerous cells and my medical doesnt cover much) My coverage period only started in dec and im already maxed out and I have only seen the doctor once... We were already planning on getting married just not this soon and are feeling like it would be a good thing to do to save money. So would you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Feb. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you are already planning I would. Just go to the courthouse and get it over with. I would then continue your wedding plans as they are so that you can have the wedding that you deserve.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2009

• Yes I would.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, yes I would. What I would be concerned about though, is that a lot of insurance companies won't cover "pre-existing conditions" for one year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• my cousin did.
    Anonymous

• I think if you were already planning on it sure. You may also be able to go on his as a domestic partner depending on the plan and state you live in. I had by SO on mine as a domestic partner when I was working. You have to go to city hall and file the papers stating that you live together.
    my3turtles

Answer by my3turtles at 1:48 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If I were planning to anyway, I probably would. However, if you aren't ready to get married, his company may include you on his plan anyway. My kids and I have been on my SO's plan for years, as his domestic partner. It's something to look into.
    pam

Answer by pam at 3:53 PM on Feb. 16, 2009