How much would you pay someone during day to watch kids?

I am debating if $6/hr would be reasonable to pay someone to watch my 3 kids during the day.
My kids are 5, 7 & 8 year old.

or $75 for possible 10-11 hours.

or am i been to cheap?

someone try to charge me $10/hr and i thou was too much, but the more i think about it .. makes me wonder. Others said $4.50 but then i felt bad, because its 3 kids .
I found someone, but i don't know if $6/hr will be fair, or too little.

My 2 oldest kids are already older and able take care of themselves, they wont need much attention as the 5 yr old would.
am i been fair with the price? I live in state of Wisconsin.

20_mama_3

Asked by 20_mama_3 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2013 in General Parenting

• i would say 5 dollars per kid per hour, but i would never pay that. hence i have never had a babysitter.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Are you providing the food? If not 15 per hour. If you are then 10 per hour.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 5:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• depends on where you live for sure. My DD19 used to watch 3 boys after school and was paid $12/hour. And she doesn't even drive!
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 5:00 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• My daughter gets 10 an hour *she watches 2 kids...a 4 and 2 yr old I think

that's a LONG day to watch 3 kids that belong to someone else. I definitely would lean toward the 75 bucks than the 6 an hour. I mean there are 3 kids
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Look at the ads at care.com and sittercity.com to see what the going rate is in your area.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• It depends on how many days a week but most home sitters here charge $100 a week per kid for a full week (6am-5pm) and they normally provide everything.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Every day? Or once in a blue moon? I pay $10 an hour if they watch my son, I pay $12 per hour if it is both, but if they are coming to your house, for 3 kids, $10 an hour is cheap!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 4:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• My 10 y/o needs a sitter for about an hour in the mornings before school. Our sitter has a dau the same age & they walk to school together. I pay her $5.00 for that hour. She does not have to feed her, & my dau helps with the little ones she watches, or at least plays with them.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• If you have someone, ask him or her. A family friend might charge less than ten dollars an hour.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:43 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• It really depends on where you live. Where I am, $10 an hour is what *I* would make going to work - so I'd be working to pay my sitter, and that's it. I think it also depends on how many other kids she watches. You know, like a daycare charges less per kid because they have so many kids? If she's watching other kids, you might get away with paying a little less because you're not her sole source of income.

I agree with silverthreads idea of going on care.com or something to try to get the going rate for your area. That would really be the best way to determine what's good in your area.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2013