How do you feel about the use of drone strikes?

How do you feel about them being used in the United States? AG Eric Holder can imagine a scenario where carrying out a drone strike on our soil against a US citizen without a trial is constitutional. For those that are comfortable with the thought of our President ordering a strike going to feel as comfortable when it's not a member of their party calling the shots?

*FTR I am not comfortable with this at all and am not really supportive of drone warfare however I can see that many countries are going the same route.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/eric-holder-drone-strikes-against-americans-on-u.s.-soil-are-legal/article/2523319

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 5:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Yeah, just read it. It basically allows the president to be judge, jury & executioner. Not the America I know & love. :(

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:39 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• I'm not comfortable with it, no matter what President or what party is calling the shots. Drone warfare does seem to be the wave of the future, though. I wonder how many innocents will have to be killed before drone strikes are seen as barbaric by the world community.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:28 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• " yet our own citizens could be treated like terrorists without due process. So the Constitution means nothing?"HHx5
    I have said many times Obama uses our Constitution as his personal toilet paper. So would it surprise anyone that the the Obama administration was revealed to have authorized the assassination of Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, a 16-year-old U.S. citizen, our very own Nobel Peace Prize award winning president
    And the DOJ has a memo out that reveals that senior administration officials, not just the president himself, can authorize a drone strike targeting a terrorist suspect, even when there is no evidence that they are actively plotting attacks against the United States.
    And yet, Bush was cruel mean and heartless for his limited use of waterboarding. But the president can assassinate U.S. citizens by drone. Oh but wait....Obama's heart is in the right place!

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• It is the biggest moral sin of our time. Disconnecting killing from the human experience is wrong. It is immoral and evil
    snookyfritz

Answer by snookyfritz at 6:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• This is so backwards. 911 Terrorists could be tried in our courts, not in military tribunals, given rights that they are not owed, ( our rights), yet our own citizens could be treated like terrorists without due process. So the Constitution means nothing?

I can see drone warfare as necessary but not against our own citizens. I can see it used for spying on certain countries, they do it to us. This is just another crack in the wall that separates citizens from subjects.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• I'm not comfortable with it at all, regardless of which party is doing it
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:03 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• That is really scary
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 8:28 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• Al-awlaki should've been captured and brought back state side and tried for treason. He had a right to a trial as a US citizen. Some would argue that in a time if war, a citizen who aids and abets the enemy can be executed on sight. IDK, maybe theres a technicality. Then again, he was 16? he shouldve had a trial. But, I do agree there does seem to be an usurpation of unconstitutional power. This is a very bad move for this administration. They are showing their true colors.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:06 AM on Mar. 6, 2013

• http://washingtonexaminer.com/eric-holder-drone-strikes-against-americans-on-u.s.-soil-are-legal/article/2523319

clicky- I will read this & get back to you- but from what you've already said, I'd have to say that it's disgusting to think it would be used against our own citizens, unless they were directly involved in a criminal act & police could not gain access to them.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• I think the part that bothers me so much about the article is that he states that they can do this without putting a citizen on trial. I would think that alone would make it unconstitutional.
    QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2013