What is the purpose of Open House at school in the middle of the year?

When I was in school it was at the beginning so we could meet the teacher and see the class. Why have it over half way thru the year? What's the purpose of open house?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When I went, it was so we could see the work the kids had been doing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• I believe to showcase your child's work (usually some kind of project) as well as a compilation of work from several different subjects. Sometimes also combined with a performance by grade level students that follows a PTA / PTO meeting to garner more attention and interest in participating and supporting your child's education and educators. I don't think it's mandatory, so it its not your thing then don't go.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• They didn't do one at the start of the school year? What about parent/teacher conferences? Doesn't make sense to me either. Unless this is a 2nd open house to touch base 1/2 way thru the year.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• This is the first one. We have parent teacher conferences in the classroom every 6 weeks.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• We have one in November and another at the end of the year. The November date is for families looking at the school. The end of the year is more of an art showcase at the end of field day.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:03 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• We just had an open house. It was so people registering their children next year can see the school.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• its a great way to keep track of what's going on with your child in school not only does it keep you inform it also let you know what can we do as parents if our kid has any weakness instead of waiting to see what your kids have to tell you which probly is nothing
    my4babies89

Answer by my4babies89 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• This is not an invite for new students and their parents. This isn't to inform you of weaknesses and how to deal with them. This is to meet the teacher and view the classroom. Any half ass decent parent has already done it. I'm still confused.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Our school does a variety of open house type events throughout the year. I don't see anything strange here.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:33 AM on Mar. 6, 2013