Student loan vs financial aid

I really want to start school. I have no idea what I'm doing though. I need help paying for school but I have no idea where to look or what to look at. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2013 in

• Www.fafsa.ed.gov

Answer by missanc at 6:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Better to exploit student aid and scholarships than loans. Student loans may only get written off at death. Otherwise, even if you file bankruptcy they are still there to ruin your credit. Also with loans, if you arent repaying they will take your taxes and you have no recourse.

If possible get a work study job to supplement your income. If going for loans you want secured vs unsecured
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Step 1 go to www.fafsa.ed.gov and fill out the application. You will need last years tax return and the school you are interested in.
    Step 2 Go to the school financial aid office they will have opportunities for grants and scholarships.
    Step 3 Go to the professional organizations for your intended major and look for grants and scholarships.

When you get you aid letter from the school of your choice accept all grants and only consider loans as a last resort.

amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2013

• Fill out the FAFSA, contact your school financial aid office. If you get student loans, get those ONLY from the federal government, not private loans. There are so many options if you are having trouble paying them back (which is 6 months after graduation).

You can also check out these website for BILLIONS in grants and scholarships:

www.fastweb.com
    www.scholarship.com

Remember that FAFSA is NO a guarantee of any funding, nor is it a grant, scholarship or loan. It is an APPLICATION for Pell Grants, federal student loans and some other state grants. It is an ESTIMATE of what you MAY be eligible for.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:08 AM on Mar. 10, 2013